MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Something on my heart

Bamboo

I have something on my heart that I really need to share. I think.... I think this is harder than it ought to be.

I love Mrs. S and the friends I have made here and I am upset when others are upset. I'm not trying to criticize anyone or even trying to point fingers at any one person, so please don't misunderstand me.... and that it what this is all about.... misunderstandings.

On a site like this where the only way we communicate is through written text it is very easy to misunderstand one another or to think that what we are saying will be understood by all. But when everything is "transmitted" strictly through the written word, the interpreter is left to his/her own devices to interpret. We can't see the person who is speaking to see their mannerisms, body language, "eye's rolling", facial expressions. All of these "helps" are taken away. We only have your words. We can't tell which word you put the emphasis on.... did you end that sentence with a questioning tone... we don't have that help and sometimes it leads to misunderstandings.

Recently I have read some posts and wondered...what? to all of you.... Thanks for listening.

awwwwww ((((spider)))) you are so sweet...

And what you're saying about only communicating in the written word is so very true. With the absence of vocal inflection, body language, facial expressions, etc etc etc, we sometimes do misunderstand what someone else is saying.

You're also right about how special everyone is at MrsSurvival. As we continue to grow, the many facets of this site expand, growing fuller and deeper with everyone that joins. I know that I value that, and I know that everyone else does too. I know that we all try very hard to not fall into *net traps*, but I guess in a way it's invariable that misunderstandings will occur. Sometimes stresses in real life thin us out, and sometimes we just need a break, which is all good.

In the long run, the glue that keeps us together, endures.

Don't fret Spider, everything will be fine. In real life I get annoyed with my children at least once a day, they probably get annoyed with me 10 times a day...I aggravate my mother at least 19 times a week and she drives me nuts every day. Most important though, is we love each other and nothing will ever come between that loyalty and bond we share as a family. Surely at times, our online *family* will have its ups and downs too...

Yanno what I mean?

Archived