MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Snow and Ice Storms Part 2

gardnmom

There are a few things you will need if you are trapped in your car during a storm

This information is gleaned from the FEMA site

Winter car kit

Keep these items in your car:

Flashlights with extra batteries

First aid kit with pocket knife

Necessary medications

Several blankets

Sleeping bags

Extra newspapers for insulation

Plastic bags (for sanitation)

Matches

Extra set of mittens, socks, and a wool cap

Rain gear and extra clothes

Small sack of sand for generating traction under wheels

Small shovel

Small tools (pliers, wrench, screwdriver)

Booster cables

Set of tire chains or traction mats

Cards, games, and puzzles

Brightly colored cloth to use as a flag

Canned fruit and nuts

Nonelectric can opener

Bottled water

The items I would add to this are:

Tea bags

Small jar of tang.

Instant chocolate mix.

Survival blankets

A coffee can and a column candle

Several packet of cheese cracker

A small metal cup for melting snow for tea or hot chocolate

A pot holder

Ziploc bag with some sugar.

If you put the candle in the coffee can it will add warmth, (be careful where you place it)

You can also heat water over it.

These item can be stored in a tote for easy retrieval when you need it.

During

If trapped in car during a blizzard:

Stay in the car. Do not leave the car to search for assistance unless help is visible within 100 yards. You may become disoriented and lost is blowing and drifting snow.

Display a trouble sign. Hang a brightly colored cloth on the radio antenna and raise the hood.

Occasionally run engine to keep warm. Turn on the car's engine for about 10 minutes each hour. Run the heater when the car is running. Also, turn on the car's dome light when the car is running.

Beware of carbon monoxide poisoning. Keep the exhaust pipe clear of snow, and open a downwind window slightly for ventilation.

Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.

Do minor exercises to keep up circulation.

Clap hands and move arms and legs occasionally. Try not to stay in one position for too long. If more than one person is in the car, take turns sleeping.

For warmth, huddle together.

Use newspapers, maps, and even the removable car mats for added insulation.

Avoid overexertion. Cold weather puts an added strain on the heart. Unaccustomed exercise such as shoveling snow or pushing a car can bring on a heart attack or make other medical conditions worse. Be aware of symptoms of dehydration.

Wind Chill

"Wind chill" is a calculation of how cold it feels outside when the effects of temperature and wind speed are combined. A strong wind combined with a temperature of just below freezing can have the same effect as a still air temperature about 35 degrees colder.

Winter Storm Watches and Warnings

A winter storm watch indicates that severe winter weather may affect your area. A winter storm warning indicates that severe winter weather conditions are definitely on the way.

A blizzard warning means that large amounts of falling or blowing snow and sustained winds of at least 35 miles per hour are expected for several hours.

Frostbite and Hypothermia

Frostbite is a severe reaction to cold exposure that can permanently damage its victims. A loss of feeling and a white or pale appearance in fingers, toes, or nose and ear lobes are symptoms of frostbite.

Hypothermia is a condition brought on when the body temperature drops to less than 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Symptoms of hypothermia include uncontrollable shivering, slow speech, memory lapses, frequent stumbling, drowsiness, and exhaustion.

If frostbite or hypothermia is suspected, begin warming the person slowly and seek immediate medical assistance. Warm the person's trunk first. Use your own body heat to help. Arms and legs should be warmed last because stimulation of the limbs can drive cold blood toward the heart and lead to heart failure.

Put person in dry clothing and wrap their entire body in a blanket.

Never give a frostbite or hypothermia victim something with caffeine in it (like coffee or tea) or alcohol. Caffeine, a stimulant, can cause the heart to beat faster and hasten the effects the cold has on the body. Alcohol, a depressant, can slow the heart and also hasten the ill effects of cold body temperatures.

It has been suggested that you could build a snow cave, but if you have not done this , You should practice it before you try, if it caves in you will smother.

That is why you are advised to stay in you vehicle.

I considered these, but tri-oxane is for use in the field but not to safe for in a vehile, even in a coffee can it would get to hot if you didn't have a special burner for it. Mre heaters work great for heating food but not sure how long they would keep you warm. A column candle on the other hand will burn for hours, heat your food and help keep you warm.

We have the tri-oxane and the hand warmers, DH uses them when he is deer hunting, even the wool sox which he wears over his cotton ones. I am going to order the Joni heaters for this winter, his old one gave up the ghost.

We get most of these from Sportsmans Guide, they have some really good buys there too.

My Ex told people when that couple was stranded in the snow that they would have found us camping next to the truck in a igloo drinking hot chocolate and eating oatmeal. Just remember to tie a rope from the truck to where you built your igloo. Once the water is hot, however you choose to do that, it's not that much harder to make the oatmeal and a warm tummy goes a long way towards a warmer you. Carry two zip together sleeping bags and zip together and pile everyone inside. I agree with the advice that #1 you shouldn't be out there unless you have to be. If you have to be what are you doing on this website. Exceptions would be labor or other surgery situations. Not just running out for chips and dip.

Quote:
I agree with the advice that #1 you shouldn't be out there unless you have to be.

But out in the snow...storm or not is exactly where I love to be......of course you have to be prepared, have good transportation that doesn't get stuck...

Les

I had a beautiful Husky until about 5 years ago, old age caught up with her. She was with us the year we got 4 foot of snow, her coop was nearly burried and she was at the other end of the yard, I ask my son to bring her up to the porch where she could get in as she didn't like to be inside for more than 1/2 a hour at a time. He said, I can get down there, but how do I get back? I told him she would bring him back. He got down there and unhooked her chain, I called her and she brought him straight to me. No problem. Fast trip, too. LOL

Quote:
He got down there and unhooked her chain, I called her and she brought him straight to me. No problem. Fast trip, too. LOL

I just took my guys for a run...2 dogs at a time. the first 2 I took 6.5 miles...it was a fast trip...the other 2 are a bit younger so we only went 2.5 miles...another quick trip. They can really run and really pull....wish we had 4 feet of snow......

Les
  • 7 months later...

Archived