MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Leavitt on the AF

gardnmom

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060301/ts_nm/...1;_ylt=An_q6aZO

FkrpcgEpBSTghitg.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE- ( copy and paste)

Bird flu likely in US flocks soon: Health Secretary

Reuters

By Richard CowanWed Mar 1, 4:18 PM ET

This is just the end of the article:

Leavitt told the committee that by the end of this year, the United States will have about 20 million doses of anti-viral drugs, mostly Tamiflu, stockpiled.

But the development of a vaccine is three to five years away, Leavitt said. He downplayed chances that this timetable could be accelerated significantly and added that even with vaccine technology, it would take drug companies six months after the start of a pandemic to produce an effective one.

"In the first six months of a pandemic we are dependent on basic public health, social distancing; every business, every school, every church, every county to have a plan," Leavitt said, adding, "We are overdue (for a pandemic) and under-protected, but we are moving with dispatch."

Leavitt also was skeptical that the federal government could provide all localities with the full arsenal of basic medical equipment, such as ventilators, masks, gauze and gloves, needed during a pandemic. That surprised Senate Budget Committee Chairman Judd Gregg, a New Hampshire Republican, who said he had thought the billions of dollars being spent would cover such stockpiles.

Instead, Leavitt put the responsibility of local preparedness mostly with local officials.

Guest Guest

Leavitt is our former Governor. He is participating in a Governor's Summit Conference on the Bird Flu on the 24th. I tried to register to go, but it was by invitation only...probably for first responders. We haven't heard much about our states plan, but I'm sure the Mormon Church is heavily encouraging it's members to stock up. I hope so. I'm prepared to quarantine at home.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm LDS (Mormon). We have not been told anything different than we are usually told... be prepared for whatever may come. That's has been the message for years and it hasn't changed as far as I am hearing. The only perception I have is that those who are into being prepared seem to get a little more intense and serious and those who aren't preparing are not getting any more serious than they ever were. (Which is sad to me!) The only specific thing I have heard concerning the AF is that healthy diet, washing hands and cleaning with bleach and other disinfectant products is what will help best. That comes from an LDS doctor in my city.

I'm glad you know beatiful people of my faith! I know some too, and they are terrific and precious friends!

Archived