MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

i have a problem...

Kygal

my computer is acting really wierd, so if i am not online for a few days, or more, it because my computer has completely died.

what is happening is the computer is working just fine that suddenly for no reason the whole thing goes blank. its like the hard drive is not communicating with anything else. the monitor works fine, but does not displaym it sais "no signal" the cd rom works fine, but when you try to open it, nothing happens, plus the modem cant connect to the computer...so, untill we either fix this or buy a new pc........well, just so you know why if i do dissapear. yarrgh!! technology!! my computer is sbout 3 years old, so that is like 30 in computer years...heh heh

monitor display on no signal indicates the video card is not sending a signal or the cable is loose, or faulty. If yoy video is a chip set on the MB then looks like a MB replacement is needed. If it is an AGP/PCI video card then you might just need a Video card replacement. With the CD drive also acting up I would guess your video is a chipset on the MB.

Ma Steel

Guest Guest

Check the power supply and CPU fan...if they are dusty or not spinning fast enough it'll overheat and can cause the system to shut down...you can also open the cdrom door by using a paper clip into the little hole near the eject button...this releases a mechanical switch. If the video card is the issue you can bypass the onboard one with an AGP or PCI video card depending on the available motherboard slots....video cards are about $50 or less for a basic one

the computer is not shutting down, it is just loosing connection with all the other componants.

we have had a lot of problems with the video card, it keeps crashing and we keep updating the drivers, but it never fixes the problem. we are using the integrated video card that came with they system

i am not worried about the cd rom not working, i know there is nothing wrong with IT, its the computer. i asked pat if he cleaned all the dust out when we moved like he said he was going to, but he said no he hadn't, he only cleaned his computer.

Archived