MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Black Cohosh

gardnmom

Black Cohosh - Cimicifuga racemosa

There is more at the site including more studies and it’s History

http://www.stevenfoster.com/education/mono...h/bkcohosh.html

Modern Use

Scientific research on black cohosh began with investigations of its chemistry in the early twentieth century. Using the comparatively crude isolation methods of the day, chemists found phytosterin, isoferulic acid, salicylic acid, sugars, tannins and fatty acids in the roots. A study published in 1944 first attributed estrogenic-like activity to the roots in laboratory experiments with mice. In the 1950s and 60s further chemical work identified glycosides such as acetin, cimicifugoside, and 27 deoxyacteine as compounds that may contribute to the root's effects on female reproduction. In the early 1980s an isoflavone called, formononetin was also identified. Clear attribution of biological activity to a single chemical component remains illusive. It is believed that at least three different chemical fractions soluble in alcoholic extracts may contribute to positive benefits in the treatment of menopausal symptoms.

By the mid 1950s sufficient scientific evidence, coupled with extensive clinical experience, made black cohosh preparations widely accepted and prescribed by German gynecologists, primarily as a an alterative to hormone treatment in menopausal disorders. By that time, hormonal replacement therapies were already recording unwanted side effects in a large number of patients. By 1962 at least 14 clinical studies (though not controlled clinical studies in the modern sense) had been published on the use of black cohosh products in over 1500 patients. These studies, some over 40 years old, began to establish clear scientific evidence for the safety and effectiveness of black cohosh in the treatment of premenopausal and menopausal symptoms including a reduction in the severity and duration of hot flashes along with an improvement of depressive moods.

Hi Lois!

Great article. I owned an herbal shoppe in Austin for a few years, and this was widely requested. However, since we had so many "Curious" people, children, etc. who would casually open the storage jars (we sold by weight, not pre-packaged usually)to smell all the "pretty medicinal flowers/herbs" and such, I chose not to carry it, and had it as a special order item. Many young, pregnant women would come in interested in its self induced abortion properties, and I wouldn't have any link to that. Herbalism is risky business. There is no "recommended dosage" because it all really depends on your individual needs, method of preparation, and quality of the herbs. I would suggest that anyone interested in Black Cohosh for menopausal issues start with some sort of infused oil/cream and apply sparingly at first to a patch of skin. Check for a reaction!!! Add only a PINCH to your chamomile tea if you are comfortable with using this herb. Adjust from there. More is not better, and it often takes longer (days) for herbs to penetrate our sytems...unlike over the counter meds.

I noticed that many people need cheap sources for herbs, and I am thinking of pulling out my old catalogs over the next week and listing them for people. You wouldn't believe the mark-up at your local store for them! This would provide large quantities of herbs and oils for very low prices. You all would need access to a tax ID # to get the wholesale prices, and would possibly have a minimum $ order. I'll have to check, but it is worth going in on these with a couple of people. I'll get back to you all soon.

Another wonderful herb! I take it to counter the effects of pms, irregular bleeding etc... it really works well for me and others that I know. Herbs are just like taking a doctors prescribtion, you dont know how its going to work or if it aggrees with you until you try it! I am a person who's body usually has alot of side effects when taking modern medications, so the whole herbal/homeopathic thing has been a God-send to me. I say if a person wants to try alternative medications, that they should first make sure there isnt going to be any interactions with medications they may be taking at present, and if not then procede with caution, Its just common sense! Pay attention to your body and see what happens. Good luck to all, AM

Archived