MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Maine

OldMaineBear

On the sixth day God turned to the Archangel Gabriel and said:

'Today I am going to create a land called Maine. It will be a land of outstanding natural beauty. It shall have tall, abundant mountains full of pine trees and eagles, beautiful sparkling lakes bountiful with bass and trout, forests full of deer and moose, high cliffs overlooking sandy beaches with an abundance of sea life, and rivers stocked with salmon.' God continued, 'I shall make the land rich in resources so as to make the inhabitants prosper, I shall call these inhabitants Mainers, and they shall be known as the most friendly people on the earth.'

'But Lord,' asked Gabriel, 'don't you think you are being too generous to these Mainers?'

'Not really,' replied God, 'just wait and see the winters I'm going to give them.'

AND NOW YOU KNOW.

That's funny. I spent a summer in Waterville in 1975. One of the best times I ever had. We took some plastic purple worms from La. up there to fish with. You should have seen those trout eyeballing those things. We had a great time. And was glad to get out around the middle of August from what they tell me about winters. Got used to seeing people with scars across their necks from hitting barbed wire on snowmobiles. And now I'm a great hockey fan.

Actually, I was there from the end of May until the middle of August. Worked building a mill in Skowhegan. Took off a weekend, drove through the northern forests to Quebec for July 4th weekend. Beautiful place with great people. Really sent home the message about rural vs city as opposed to 'north vs south' values.

Glad you enjoyed it here. Should have stayed for October when the trees put on their best suit of clothes before winter. Absolutely beautiful or as we say up here ~ "Wicked Gaw-Jus Ayuh!!"

Then as soon as the leaves all fall run as fast as you can back South or find a good wood stove and become one with it.

Archived