MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Package postage to deployed soldiers

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I called the PO to see if there was any provision to send packages to our soldiers at a free or reduced rate....answer, no. So, I called my Senator's office, and talked with his person in charge of postal and military issues. She thought it was a great idea to be able to send packages free or at a reduced rate, and will see what she can do for us. I'll keep you posted when I find out what she learned.

Guest Guest

My SIL used to be in the Navy and was in Italy for two years...I might be remembering wrong, but I thought that my inlaws were somehow able to send her packages with the postage costing no more than if they were sending it in the US...even that would be a break!

I know I'm not in here much, but it's not because I don't care...it's just that I have family and friends that are missionaries over seas, and any packages I send are to them. I do pray daily for our troops, though!

Guest Guest

Yes, Happygirl. You are remembering correctly that the postage for service personnel is the same as postage for anywhere in the U.S. I just went down to mail a manila envelope with a couple of magazines in it. It cost me $2.83. For envelopes, you do not have to fill out a customs form. For boxes, you do have to fill out a customs form. You get that form at the regular window. It's better if you get one for the next time you're going to mail something. You can have it all filled out ahead of time. It will save you time then at the post office.