MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hurt Family

The MacKinnon

My grandmother's dad was Nathan B. Hurt, born about 1854 in IL. I went searching through the censuses and found a Nathan Hurt, b 1810 in KY, living with wife Lucy also of KY, in Marion County IL with children Charles, Lucy (maybe twins), Mary, all born in KY, then George, Lydia and Sarah (another set of twins) born in IL. My greatgrandfather had a brother named George; I have an old picture. My grandmother's name was Lucy, so I was pretty sure I'd found his folks. But Nathan (the elder) did not appear on the 1860 census.

More research found that LUCY HURT had married Zachary Reavis in 1858 in IL and sure enough, I found her as Lucy Revis on the census. Zach died in 1859 or so. Charles is still with her, as is Sarah and there's Nathan age 6 so that matches, but the kids are listed under the name REVIS - not Hurt, so I can't officially put my Nathan as son of Nathan Hurt and Lucy. IN fact, one HURT researcher (who is a descendant of George) got angry with me just for hypothesizing that I'd found my Nathan's family (I clearly said this was speculation and I was hoping for more information to confirm one way or the other).

If my Nathan IS the son of this Nathan Hurt and wife Lucy, I run into another problem: there isn't any documentation for their marriage, which should have been around 1836 in KY. Some researchers say Lucy is Lucy Ann Wright, of Warren Co KY, daughter of Charles and Lydia Britten Wright. My Nathan's 'B' initial could be for 'Britten' but who knows.

So (whew) if any of you has any access to IL or KY records and is looking for something fun (!) to do...or if you have any suggestions on where to go with this now, I'd appreciate it!

I also have HURTs in my family. I have found numerous alternate spellings. HURD, HEARD, HERD, HART, HURTT are the most common that I have found.

I looked on my extract of the Illinois Marriage Index for HURTS, and found your Lucy. Zachariah's name is spelled REEVES on that, and I was thinking that you might have to look at him, but when I re-read your message, I saw that he died a year after the marriage. Forget him, then!!!

In a litte poking around, I found limited info on a Nathan HURT b. abt 1810, with a wife Lucy WRIGHT. One was listed as born in KY, and 2 are shown born in Bedford co, VA. There are a boatload of HURTS in Bedford county, including mine. wink

When I looked at the family trees on Ancestry, I got a good chuckle. No real documentation for anything, other than the 1850 census. 7 trees with his date of death ranging from 1850-1880. His mother was either Elizabeth DAVIS or Frances ALLEN. He was married to both Lucy WRIGHT and Elizabeth DAVIS (yes, the same one that is sometimes his mother!). Oh, I also saw your Nathan B HURT b. 1856, d. 1858. Gotta love Ancestry trees.

I will look some more later, but I did not see anything in a fast and dirty search of my fave places.

Archived