MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Nursing home thing...

Guest Guest

Always "brought up"..We care for our elders...maybe me?..confusing and hard.."nursing home" is not an option... no...maybe in house care..we are looking into that...yea! with 4 beagles??.. smile.gif..got to be a special woman!.. Peggy and I are trying to work around work..ya know?.. funny..$$$ is not an issue...quality of life is...thanks for listening all..unique situation....love you all.. and thanks for your prayers and words...it means alot to me..who said life was easy?...some "bum" on the street...Argg!...here i go again..why do ..ehh never mind..good people.....?? Ed

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Oh Ed, it is so hard to do 24/7 care...but it is so worth it if you can swing it with help. You never know. There are probably some people out there who love the beagles. Maybe a woman who's hubby needs four new friends?

We did 24/7 with my Dad before he passed and then we also had the help of hospice towards the end. I don't know the situation, but even hospice may know of someone to help out. Right now there are a lot of people out of work and willing to help. You just need to have the networking to find them.

If you decide of a nursing home, there are different types and levels available. Maybe someone here knows more about that and can help you with it. I do know that when my sister-in-law was passing over with brain cancer, the very first thing I noticed when I walked into her nursing home was that it DID NOT smell of urine. I was so grateful she was there. That meant they took care of everyone and didn't leave them in a mess. You can check with local clergy to find out their opinions on nursing homes. They'll tell you.

Good luck and God Bless.

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

It is never an easy decision.... but we all do what we can. Is there a county or local nursing program in your area? My SIL is a practical nurse and for a while she did in home care for x number of hours a day as needed through a facility like this. Your agency for the aging in your county or state or your family Dr might be able to help you with these questions.

My prayers are with you all.

Blessings

------------------

lois.jpg

Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when

our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

((((Ed&Peg))))

I think of that a lot; it's unnerving to think of losing our abilities to care for ourselves... I went through that with my father and it broke my heart.

I don't know what the situation is you're talking about here, I was away for awhile and lost you guys during the changes, but my heart and prayers are with you, friends.

------------------

shepherd.gif

Home is the best way to go, but when it becomes a problem, then the nursing home is the place. When one can't do anything for themselves, they need more care than if they can get around.

We had mil with us for about 10 years and had 'home health care' come and bath and dress her and clean her room. I was working at that time, so couldn't do it myself. But she got to the place where she was unable to do anything for herself and had to be put in the nursing home.

Remember, too, my niece is in a nursing home. They do get good care, but, still, if possible, home with family is the best place.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

My elderly aunt lived with us and she got ill to the point that we couldn't care for her properly, just not enough hours in a day. We found a nice home for her and boy was she mad with me. Well, wouldn't you know my dear 89 yr old maid aunt found herself a boyfriend there. She lived to 93 and I think those were the happiest years of her life. They were inseperable and he was lost when she passed on. I know it is hard caring for someone maybe you will find some in home care that will work out. Prayers are with you both.

I agree with you ed... for you and peg nursing home is not an option for dad... Gosh I remember sending him his first email.. smile.gif (with tears). check with county and other nurses registeries. many times you can get a good home health aide to assist with his dailey care when you and peg cant be there or it gets to the point you cant do it all. hang in there big brother, i love you and Peg. T