MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fun Sunday . . . . "shopping"

Amishway Homesteaders

Seeing we have been SO busy of late we decided that we would just 'veg' and take a day off just for US.

So we went SHOPPING!

Did get to go with a friend to a place that has lots of little booths filled with all kinds of things we don't need (but Lori found things to but-ha-ha) and also there is an Antique co-op in another building. While looking there for MORE things we didn't need (we got stuff there to bring home as well).

But here is the good part -

as we were going from booth to booth a lady walks by with an oil lamp.

Then a guy walks by . . . with an oil lamp!

So I turn to Lori and say:" I bet they lost power in the last storm."

And here they come again with ANOTHER lamp!

Well, I just pasted a booth that had a rayo lamp ( round wick) - so the next time they went past I asked if they were buying out the place of oil lamps and did they see the rayo?

No says the guy - so we went on to tell them how great they are as they give off a lot more light (and heat) then the old oil lamps they were buying.

(by the way - didn't get it as it was badly dented , nor did they)

so after about 15 minutes of tell them all the ways to use the lamps and Lori and Cathy bonding over canning - we find out they are just starting to "do things the old way" and was very glad they bumped into us. Talked for another 1/2 hour with the clerk listening in about where to find wicks and "safe" oil for lamps and how to clean and maintain them.

Ended up exchanging addresses and e-mails (plus our website- they wanted to see pictures) so Lori and her can 'talk' - too bad they live far away (near city) or we would meet again.

As they left they thanked us for "honest" help and can't wait to get home to have an old-time day using all we taught them.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Nice way to educate the public, Michael & Lori! You mention that they were from near the city... Would it happen to be my city or another one? I've been running into relatives that are prepping. I found that to be pretty amazing since most in the family are :sheep: .For now, they seem to be mostly stocking up on food because they are afraid of job loss. However, we haven't suffered many job losses in the family during this recession.

Nice way to educate the public, Michael & Lori! You mention that they were from near the city... Would it happen to be my city or another one? I've been running into relatives that are prepping. I found that to be pretty amazing since most in the family are :sheep: .For now, they seem to be mostly stocking up on food because they are afraid of job loss. However, we haven't suffered many job losses in the family during this recession.

Sorry -

In Webster nearer to the Rochester side

Archived