MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

I was thinking of my son's paternal grandfather this morning. I really miss Mac, who's first name was Chauncey, actually. He was such a good man. Raised Amish, but a descendant of Scottish Clan Highlanders who landed in America in the colony of NY four years after Culloden, his particular line going south eventually into the Amish, over time, including some Native American wifes along the generations, I picked up more fatherly wisdom in 3 day weekends over a few years than I had gotten the years of my childhood. So, more than anything, I guess I would love to be able to wish him a Happy Father's day today.

This year I am sure his oldest grandson would love to tell him that he is going to be a great grandfather, and that this firstborn grandson will inherit the coat of arms and old tartan passed down, tenth generation, and now an 11th,soon to be born, since first arriving in America. I am pretty sure he would be proud of all his grandsons, as he left to serve his country too, because for him it was the right thing to do. That they all want to be good men, and work hard at their posts and occupations to provide stability for themselves and their families and believe in the good tenets. Mac did not get to see them much and died while this firstborn grandson was only 15 and the others several years younger, but he touched their lives, nevertheless. As he touched mine when I needed it very much.

I hope he has a forever garden and his little smithy set up in a nice place in Heaven, and is enjoying that very much, amongst friends and family he loved and missed, also there. His influence is what started me on a prepping mentality, not that I practiced it until more recently and would like to do so much more in the future.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I did get to see his Amish farm as well on a trip there one long weekend, that he had grown up on. It was the hilliest piece of land in front, and all had to be plowed. The barn classic wood and stone, Amish style and the home was a big 3 story stone structure, but sold by the family after the boys were all grown and doing different things. A roaring creek on one edge of the property. Thick woods behind the far field.

For all of you Dad's out there, Happy Father's Day.

Had a great day (I think?) ...........................

Woke up at 4:40am! Started at 5 am with a fire in our firepit / firplace (with coffee and Danishes) and watched the sunrise - nice!

Then left to go on a nature hike I have dubbed "Happy Froggers Day" (think happy Father’s Day) Because it goes through a swamp (with boardwalks) and in the morning the frogs are so loud with all the crocking going on as they great the day! It is so cool! And also lots of birds (nothing new to add to our life list) and insects and butterflies and this time water snakes! Lori NO LIKE! But she kept walking along the boardwalk. Then back home to "camp" (tent set up in backyard) and a 12 noonish cookout of sausage (on buns), potato salad, baked beans, and peppers and onions all done outside on the grill. Then in the afternoon sat around and read some, watched the hummingbirds at the feeders (always fun!) and other birds coming to feeders in yard. Now in to make supper (????) then back out for fire (when it starts to get darker) and we are also walking to the ice cream shop for milk shakes and bringing them home for around the fireplace as we watch the fireflies that have just started to be in all the bushes.

OK, So other than THAT . . . . Not much going on today I guess. :shrug:

:AmishMichaelstraw: