MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

planning for the holidays when your family gets on your nerves....

I hoped the heading might catch everyone's attention! For the past week, I have been thinking about the upcoming holidays.

Since my husband has to work on Thanksgiving, I plan on cooking and staying home. I'm on the outs with my dad and his live-in thang so I won't be seeing them. They always cook a big dinner for her children and grandchildren so I know they'll stay home. I'm not close to my mother but I haven't decided to invite her. I've not spent a holiday with her in about 12 years. My inlaws are super but I don't know what my sister-in-law may have planned. She kinda rules the family but I enjoy it. (It kinda gives me a break!

Well, when I was growing up, it was just my parents, my sisters and I. We lived in Mexico as missionaries, so we never had any extended family to spend the holidays with, unless we happened to be in the States at the time. I loved it. We didn't celebrate Thanksgiving (which now I wish we had), but Christmas Day was a very special time. I have very warm memories of it. We would eat a special breakfast (usually including eggs, Dads favorite), wash the dishes, then gather around the livingroom and Christmas tree so that Dad could read the Christmas story from the Bible to us. Then we would sing a few Christmas carols and then Dad would pray and thank God for His precious Gift. Then we would exchange gifts. Ususally I gave them out (I'm the youngest!), until my niece and nephew grew old enough to do it. We all opened our gifts at once, and there was a lot of talking and excitment and thanks going around the room. After trying on and Oooohhhing and Aaaaahhhing over eachothers gifts, we would settle in for a cup of hotcocoa and a Christmas movie. We normally would have a big diner later on, although in recent years, Mom has been known to throw something big together.

Then there's my DH's family. On Christmas Eve, they would go out to his Grandparents farm and exchange gifts there and have a big meal. Then on Christmas Day, they would get together with his Mom's side of the family to celebrate, sometimes at there own place, sometimes at Grandma's or his Uncle's. They would squeeze in time when they could (usually late on Christmas Eve or early Christmas morning) to spend time together just the four of them. And then when that happened it was just exchanging gifts, one person at a time, so that everyone had their chance to show off what they had gotten. This tradition remains to this day...and I can't say that I like it too much. They meet with one side of the family, then with the other, and squeeze time with just the immediate family. And we are expected to do the same. Last year I tried to get us to stay home on Christmas Day, and we weren't *allowed*...

Happygirl when our children got to be about 3 we decided it was time to stay home Christmas day and let the children enjoy the spirit at home in a relaxed happy family atmosphere. There were no other sibs around so we started having Christmas dinner at our house and inviting whatever extended family chose to come.

After our foster daughter was married she and her husband used to come and spend Christmas Eve. night with us so they could be in on the "stocking treasure hunt" on Christmas morning. Then they had children and started the same tradition we did of staying home and having their own day.

We still have dinner here but when everyone leaves for their own homes about 5:00 we head out to our DFD's home for supper and to have our gift exchange.

We've established a lovely tradition but be prepared if you try something different......I have now fixed a big Christmas dinner for the last 30 years for as many as 30 people. I'm ready for someone to pick up the torch and carry on.

Thanks for reading and posting ladies. When I was little, we were always spending Christmas day with the Grandparents. Both sets. My brother and I were never home on Christmas day until late at night to play and admire our goodies.

I realize this could start a new tradition. I'm okay with that. (Ask me again in 10+ years! )

Anybody else want to share their family traditions? Anybody have anything they'd like to share?

Things were a lot different when my mother was alive. We all got together at one of our homes.

Now, there are just 3 of us girls left, out of six kids, and the other 2 have families right next door to them. In fact, one sister has all of her kids living in this area, and the other sister has all except one living around here. Therefore, on Christmas Eve, they all get together with their own families. As for Old Pine and myself, we are usually alone for Christmas Eve and our #2 DS and family will come up either very late that night or early on Christmas Day.

On Christmas Day, the one sister and her DH have been coming to our home. We also have been bringing my niece, Kaye out here from the nursing home. This year, she is about 60 miles from us, so not sure if we will be able to do this.

As we get older, things change.

(((((HUGS)))))

Well, we're very blessed because we don't have that problem anymore... since we took action to change a few things.

My Dad always had to work Christmas days when I was little so we celebrated Christmas Eve. In the early years of my married life, we tried to please everybody, but after several years of that, I announced we'd no longer be doing that for our own sanity and safety.

We'd have Christmas Eve with my folks, Christmas Day with his - but Thanksgiving nearly killed us as we'd travel all day with full stomachs, and get home on a worknight really late, just exhausted. I finally announced to both our families we'd be alternating from one family to the other; one year at my family, the next at his. I just explained it was too dangerous to be on the highways all day, tired and full from all the food. We're lucky both our families are loving and although it was hard the first couple of years, they understood and put our safety first. My husband's brothers do the same thing with their families, since we laid the groundwork. It works out well for us.

DH's grandparents are gone, as well as mine. Both of my parents are now deceased (my stepmom is still doing well tho). I bring this up just to remind you, my brothers & sisters, don't let opportunities pass you by to mend broken relationships if at all possible. I'd hate for you to have regrets AFTER it's too late. (This is said with love - I don't want any of you to one day say "I wish I'd have said...".)

we only had the one child and when she got married and had children and before they moved away. DH and i would have our own Christmas and muchies. Then about two on Christmas afternoon we would go to DD home and have Christmas with them. We figured it would be e-er and safer for us to travel to thir home then for them to load up all the stuff and the children to come to our home. Less stress for them and less worry for us worring about them traveling with the babies. We would eat, open gifts, check out what all the grandkids got from Santa and play with their toys then we would play a family game and watch a movie and then go home.

now we just jhave Christmas alone. It's not as sad as it sounds we have a special meal, relax, exchange gifts and just enjoy one another. And remember the meaning of Christmas

Well, our children are all grown and living in other states with most of our grandchildren; both DH's and my parents and grandparents are dead- his stepmother is alive but lives in Fla., now- and our siblings on both sides, the ones still living, are all far away. Even my best female friend lives more than a thousand miles away.

It's just AK, LP, Max (the dog), and me. We'll celebrate our Christmas at home, just the 4 of us. I wish we had a choice of which parents to visit on a Holiday, just once more. I'd give almost anything... for the last 26 years, all I ever really wanted for Christmas was to have my parents, siblings , and all the grandchildren together, under one roof. It never happened.

Always do what you feel is best for your own family. Just remember how blessed you are, and never throw away your blessings.

I love hearing about how everyone spends the holidays.

I know the old saying that one must appreciate and have no regrets, etc. The way I see it, if we aren't speaking ALL DURING THE YEAR unless we absolutey must the special essence of Christmas will be lost because of the tensions in the air. Don't you agree? There are so many details that would help explain my family situation but I'd rather not go into them. Let's just say that I understand why people move so far away from their families.

We alternate Thanksgiving with my brothers, who go their wives families every other year. This is their year, and CM has to work, so I'm just going to hang out at my Mom's and do some baking and prep work for Friday, when CM is home, and we will celebrate Thanksgiving then, just the three of us.

CM also has to work on Christmas Day this year, so again I will be at my Mom's and we will probably watch some movies, and do our gift exchange late in the evening when CM gets home.

We have a family party usually a week before Christmas when we get together with my brothers and their kids. We gather at my Mom's house, and everyone brings food for a buffet lunch. Then we play carols, visit, and have our gift exchange.

My Dad is gone, and both of CM's parents live in eastern Canada, so we don't see them very often, so my Mom is all the family we have living nearby.

I'd like to "adopt" a senior this Christmas who doesn't have much family. I did that one year, and it was so cool. I'd met a man of about 80, and he was so sad because his cat was dying, and he didnt' have any pictures of it. I went back to his house and took pictures of the cat, and took the man to the grocery store to do some shopping, as he had no transportation. His cat died shortly afterwards.

At Christmas, I took him a big bag of presents. There was a 5x7 framed print of his beloved cat, plus the rest of the prints in a little scrapbook, a hand crocheted lap robe, various packages of home made goodies.....and a new kitten. He was overwhelmed, and he loved the kitten best of all. After that, I would show up about once a month and take him to the store so he could stock up on heavy items, like cat litter, ice cream, soda.....stuff that was too heavy for him to carry the 4 blocks to his home. Hopefully, this year, I can find someone a little closer to home.