MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dec. 7, 1941

Guest Guest

Today is the 62nd anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. A total of 2,390 people died in that attack.

If you ever make it to Hawaii (actually Oahu), make it a point to visit the Arizona Memorial. It's a building above the sunken U.S.S. Arizona. You can look over the side and still see the smokestacks of the ship in the water. Every few minutes bubbles come from the ship to the surface. It's sad to see the outline of the Arizona in the harbor and realize that 1,177 young men are still entombed down there.

I recently toured the military base with my brother, who served there during the Vietnam war. He showed me where he repaired the war birds. Along the walls of the old Quonset huts were the bullet holes left by the Japanese Zero machine guns as they passed by. The old military runway is still there too. We drove it, trying to avoid all the crater holes left by dropped Japanese bombs. The runway was never reopened.

History is important. Spend some time learning about how much our freedom costs us every day.

As I recall, it happened early on a Sunday morning, as it was easier to catch us unaware.

There is a lesson in that, as well. Be ever vigilant; keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, then they will never surprise you.

My gratitude to the many, many Americans, who have fought, and especially those who have died, for our freedom.