MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ireland to Canada...

Wheeler

Here is a resource with maps of Ireland. Note that there is even a Cholera map which shows where there were breakouts of this illness.

FYI: "During the great Potato Famine of the 1840s, millions of Irish left their homes. Many went to Canada, but left within a few years to settle in the United States. Most of the current Irish-Canadian communities were established before the famine. About 13% of the Canadian population is of Irish descent."

Source: Ireland to Canada-

http://www.settlement.org/cp/english/ireland/iretocan.html

• 2 weeks later...

My Great-grandmother was one of those who came from Ireland. I have heard two stories about this, one she came alone at the age of 12 to join other members of the family, and another story said she came with a member of her family.

I just wish I had dug deeper when my Mom was living.

Isn't that the truth? My Dad said he would tell me something about my Mom's mother that he knew, but that he would wait until after she was gone... I guess so that it could not hurt her. I prompted him to tell me, but he refused.

Well, Dad is gone, and Grandma is still with us. It's just frustrating. [He couldn't trust me not to hurt my own Grandmother?] What would he have said?

I suspect it had to do with her time in a sanitarium -- she had scarlet fever in college or something, and it affected her later -- while Mom was growing up, but not at all sure... Mom is still alive, but she was the baby of the family, so she was not privy to a lot of the goings-on, the way the older children might be.

I interviewed my Great-grandma Mary [Dochterman] Early, in the late 1970s, and she gave me a gold mine of info on her lines.. but some things I just didn't know enough [at age 13] to ask for more of, while she was there to answer. [she died in 1982.]

Like when she said her Great-grandma was "a Wilmeth" I didn't think to ask what GG-ma's first name was. Makes it hard to search for her now!

Okay, enough OT for now...

Alie Jo