MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Where to Write for Vital Records...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would like to send out a warning about using this site, for ordering your vital records....

If anyone has used it with successful results, you are blessed..

One month ago, dh and I placed an order for his birth certificate through this site. They took the money out of my credit card which ended up being $41.00 for a freaking birth certificate. Then the next day when we checked the status of the order, they had canceled it. Til this day we still have not received a refund of our money to our card, and no explanation from the company..and know that there was more than sufficient funds on the credit card to cover the costs, so was not due to any denials from the credit card company.......I have tried contacting the company several times and to no avail.....

SO BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

Whoa!!! I'm sorry unikemom, I think you misunderstood what I said...

Quote:
Here's a good site that give you helpful information about ordering birth, marriage, divorce and death records, etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm

This site gives addresses where you can send for birth certificates, etc. These are State Departments and not a company or corporation... If you ordered from one of the clickable sites on the side of the webpage then you ordered from the wrong place... I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!!

When you click on the url it will take you to a site that lists all the states in alphabetical order... you then click on your state and, since I'm from South Carolina I'll use that one as an example, here's what you get...

Event: Birth or death

Cost of copy: $12.00

Address:

Office of Vital Records

SC DHEC

2600 Bull Street

Columbia, SC 29201

Remarks: State office has records since January 1915. City of Charleston births from 1877 and deaths from 1821 are on file at Charleston County Health Department. Ledger entries of Florence City births and deaths from 1895 to 1914 are on file at Florence County Health Department. Ledger entries of Newberry City births and deaths from the late 1800's are on file at Newberry County Health Department. These are the only early records obtainable. Additional copies of the same birth records ordered at the same time of certification are $3.00.

Personal check or money order should be made payable to Department of Health and Environmental Control. To verify current fees, the telephone number is (803) 898-3630. Information on how to obtain certified copies is also available via the Internet at http://www.state.sc.us/scdah/vit.htm

This is a state run agency and is legitimate! I think you ordered your document from the wrong place... Sorry!

I must have gotten confused, I had gotten the web link to vital chek.com from somewhere. I thought it was from this site...

Vitalchek is what we used, It was on the state of Florida. It gave us all the information and you could pay online by credit card. So that is what we did, because we needed it as soon as we could get it. Unfortunately, we still haven't gotten it. and still not have heard why it was canceled....

Sorry about the confusion on the weblinks, I am just so boiling mad, about this.