MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

just remembering...

Linda

today on thanksgiving dy, while Dh is laying in bed sick i am sitting here counting all the wonderful blessing we have had in our life; fight up to today.... i am remembering the thanksgiving when i was a child and how we would go to our one aunts for dinner and there would be the cousisn we hadn't seen much of, and hear all the boy had this one or that one has grown, the smells of the food and our beelies growling, and swiping an olive or something fromthe table before we where called. then on to being a teenager and getting to now sit at the big table, helping with the setting of the table and getting to help do the dishes, we had one aunt that loved to get into towel fights... to when i got to host our first thanksgiving dinner as a married women. of couse had to start the turkey on fire that year... and all the many others that followed with friends and family, ginning as our daughter swipe an olive from the table .. to the days when she started to host the thanksgiving dinners and watching the grandchildren grow and go from the kids table to the big table( well three still at the little table). i can recall some pickering going on but they didn't amount to much in my memories, jsut that all was there to gather for a day of Thanksgiving.

today i give thanks that i have those memmories to recall and enjoy.

I remember all the HOlidays, that Mom, Dad my 3 sister,and 2 brothers, my aunts and uncles and sisterin law would all gather at mom and dads. We would trunk loads of food. We sit and eat all day, talk, go outside and play around then come in for round #2. WE spent the whole day being together. I really appreciate all the hard work, my dear old mom did for her kids to have that family tradition....I really miss it..

I have decided that next year, I will check into adopting a family also for Thanksgiving....I would like to instill holiday traditions into my kids, but that is not possible with what family I have left, and it is coming harder to do with dh's family. We did have a nice dinner with his mother and her husband this afternoon...When you think back on those days, it really makes you appreciate them even more....

I remember...

My first thanksgiving in my own house, my oldest DD, her dad, and I. We had smoked turkey breast, mashed potatoes, stove top stuffing and brown gravy, LOL.

Watching Pretty In Pink with my dad in the living room at Gramma's house after dinner, 2 days after I got dumped by the love of my life (I was probably 15, hehe). Just thinking back right now, he must have known and given up play time with the guys to be there.

My first thanksgiving with my DH.

Our first thanksgiving down here with our chosen family.

Not many good ones from childhood. But from today I will remember the sound of my youngest children's laughter as they enjoyed some special time alone with their dad, and hope that that is one of THEIR good memories!

I remember when I was a kid ( Yes I knwo like I am old..lol.) going to my grandparents house and eating thanksgiving dinner and after all the cleaning putting up the decorations. I always looked forward to that. The first thanksgiving I shared once I found my father and sisters. The first one with all my kids. I cant wait until next year when my youngest is old enough to start enjoying things like this. She already enjoys watching me cook. Maybe this is a sign of a future chef? hmmmm

Smooches