MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lowlander, ever heard of these?

Guest Guest

Hi Lowlander, have you ever heard of any of these family names over on your side of the pond?...McClennan or Bodily or O'Bodily. I'm just curious if they are names that are still alive over there now. Thank you.

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

Hi LCM,

Maclennan/Mclennan is a fairly comon name in Scotland; I went to school or college with people called this. I haven't hear of the others that I am aware of, but will look into it for you. I knew a boy at college called Findlay Maclennan; he was from the island of Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides off the North West of Scotland. Will try and do some research for you.

------------------

lowlander.jpg

Thank you. That's my Grandmother's maiden name. The family was originally from Scotland and a few got out to Ireland. From what we've been able to find out here, there were only a hand full left after a huge war years ago. Thanks for your input.

Gail

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LCM

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your conversation. As Lowly says there are loads of McClennans about but I was taught at school by a Mrs Bodily. She was a young teacher so there must still be some about .

Stargirl

You were taught by a Mrs Bodily, and one of my teachers was a Mrs Heel! I wonder sometimes how some of the more unusual names came about. Ones like Smith or Mason have obvious origins, but some are pretty obscure, aren't they? It's very very interesting, though, and adds another dimension to looking for info about your ancestors.

Stargirl, thank you so much for the mention of your teacher Mrs. Bodily. My mom was so tickled to know that someone had heard of the name overseas. Thanks again. You made her day. (Bodily is Mom's maiden name.)

LCM I had a quick look on the surname disc I have at home - it only covers England and Wales I'm afraid not Scotland - but it tells me that there are currently 151 adult Bodilys living in England and Wales and 3 businesses run by a Bodily.

So you can tell your mum that the Bodily's are alive and well in England and Wales at least

Stargirl