MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Canning Help

tracywest

I am venturing ahead with using a pressure canner this year instead of only using water bath canning in the past. I just bought a used (brand-new looking) canner at a resale store. It is Mirro brand, but has no instruction manual. Where can I get an instruction manual or simply, how do I use it? I have a bucket of green beans snapped and ready to go .

Thanks,

Nicole

Guest Guest

Hi Nicole, and :welcome:

What kind of Mirro canner did you buy?

There are two kinds of pressure canners - one has a dial gauge which should be tested every year (Blue Book recommendation).

You get the pressure up to the needed pressure, close a vent, regulate the temperature, and then keep an eye on the gauge to be sure it stays in the safe range until the canning process is finished. Dial gauges may be checked by your local County Extension Office.

The other type is a weighted gauge canner which uses a weight to regulate the pressure. I have one with three different settings on the weight.

You get the water hot enough to emit steam for 10 minutes, then place the weight on. The weight “jiggles” to allow a bit of the pressure out, regulated by the temperature of the stove. You have to learn to time the “jiggles” of the weight, several per minute, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If the weight is damaged you must replace it, but otherwise it’s good for years.

With both canners you need to keep the rubber gasket in good condition, or replace it. Before canning, make sure the vent is cleared by drawing a string through it (a plugged vent will cause your canner to blow up!) and make sure the safety valve is good.

If you live at higher altitudes, you need to adjust your canning accordingly. (Ask your County Extension Office for specific instructions for that.)

The "Blue Book" should have enough information for you to can with (and I think most Wal-Marts carry them). But if you have specific questions, ask!! smile

The biggest thing is not to try to remove the lid until ALL the pressure is out, no matter what! And don't try too hard to get it out quickly (like pulling off the weight too soon). I wedge a fork *lightly* under it and let it slowly release by itself.

This link is supposed to download a manual (Mirro was bought by Wearever, I was told), but I can't get my computer/server to open it all the way:

http://www.wearever.com/accessories/PressC...rManual2005.pdf

CAT

I went to the county extension office today to have my pressure canner checked out. I bought it used and had no idea what to even check for. The agent checked it over and declared it good. She also gave me some tips and publications. Also, mine does not use a gasket it has screw like thingies that secure the lid.

I would recommend starting with the check at the county office first.

CeeGee

Archived