MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

sugar

Freetobeme

This isn't an herbal remedy, but if you need something to stop bleeding or treat a wound to prevent infection, common sugar has been used for a long time in third world countries and under battle field conditions. It has a natural anti-microbial effect (think of food preservation with sugar). If combined with Betadyne, it it known as sugardyne and is commercially available. I read of a case study in which it was used to treat a shotgun wound to the foot. The injury was a hole through the foot. It healed completely and did not need a skin graft. The sugar is applied to the wound and the wound dressed with gauze. The sugar becomes syrupy as fluid is drawn from the surrounding tissues along with nasty little infection-causing microbes (now dead!). This is washed out with sterile water and the treatment repeated. Betadyne can be used as a wash. It comes as a concentrated liquid and must be diluted with sterile water before use. A handy way to irrigate wounds if you don't have a large syringe (without a needle) is to use a turkey baster. This is something that works on animals as well as people. This info comes from personal experience and from the book Ditch Medicine. If you want a very graphic look inside battlefield condition medicine, this is the book to read. 'Ditch' in the title refers to a place to get out of the line of fire; it does not mean 'discard'.

Note: I'm not trying to be mean here, but legal types do get a bit touchy on the subject of giving medical advice without a license, thus this disclaimer. I do not claim to be a medical professional. The info I pass along is info I have gathered for my own use and anyone who chooses to try it should check with their health care professional if they have any questions about the suitability of a particular treatment.

Very iteresting and useful information. Where do you buy betadyne? I've seen the little individual packets at the Dr. office, but would you have to go to a medical supply store for a bottle of it?

Thanks Goatherder!

It is available in drugstores. When I was in a roll-over accident and wound up with an arm that looked like glass-studded hamburger, I called my doc (on a Friday evening) and she said that if I didn't want to go to the emergency room (I didn't) to get betadyne and soak the arm and come in the next day. I did and it never became infected even though there was a lot of contamination from the pavement. By the way, it's just LOADS of fun to have glass removed from your arm with forceps then be scrubbed down with one of those scrubby things used on teflon pans! And no, I didn't have a shot of lidocane. I react badly to it.

Archived