MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sprouts!

Guest Guest

This is maybe a little off topic for this forum, but it is health related. I've been wondering how we would get enough greens in the winter without relying on all canned food. The answer...sprouts! Check out this website. I'll be ordering a whole lot of spouts and sprouters.

The Sprout People

When my kids were little and I was very, very broke, I sprouted seeds quite a bit. It is a cheap and nutritious way of getting fresh leafy veggies into your diet. Besides, they taste good!

You can sprout any untreated seeds such as beans, alfalfa, radish, etc. You can also improvise sprouting jars using a common quart canning jar, cheese cloth, and a canning ring. Just make sure the cheese cloth it fine enough (use multiple layers for fine seeds) so that your seeds don't come out. Put your seeds in the jar, cover with warm (not hot!) water, let soak about 20 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the seed, put the cheesecloth cover and the ring on the jar, drain the water and set the jar out of the sun. Each day, rinse the seeds and drain again. When the little fellows start to sprout, you can set the jar in diffused sunlight for a few hours to develop more chlorophyll (the green stuff). (I don't advise doing this with beans however. Just alfalfa and radish type seeds.) Rinse well one last time and enjoy. Sprouts can be refrigerated for a day or two if you don't eat them all right away.

I haven't done sprouts for years but I used to. I used alfalfa in a canning jar with cheesecloth. I was making yogurt and homemade bread and trying to grow an avacado tree from a pit back then and felt like my tiny kitchen was a science center. My kids loved it.

Archived