MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning for today...

Guest Guest

As I continue to work on my storage preps, today I'm making a huge pot of split pea soup with ham that I'm gonna can...I also have about 30lbs of chicken breasts that I'm gonna can too...I'm gonna hafta re-arrange my cupboards and closets to make room for all these preps...all the collectibles that I've accumulated over the years just seem so frivilous anymore.

*sigh*

Well, I haven't got the chicken breasts canned yet, but I did end up making 2 huge pots of split pea soup and have half of it in my canner right now...I ended up making chili and canning that too...so much for the best laid plans...lol

Canning Water

To can water in quart jars for long term storage, sterilize jars and lids, 1 inch of head space. In a pressure canner, process 10 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. process the water in a boiling water bath quart jars should be processed 20 minutes, 2 quart jars for 25 minutes.

Shelf life is good for one year. Any minerals in your water will settle to the bottom of the jar, the water is ok to drink. If you have the case the jars came in, restore the water in the boxes, makes it easier to handle.

If you don't can, you can buy distilled water in gallon plastic jugs at the grocery store. This water is inexpensive, free of bacterial contamination and is sealed in a food-grade container. You can store this water indefinitely. Purchase in cases so it is boxed and easy to store.

Archived