MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

wheat recipes?

Guest Guest

Does anyone have some good wheat recipes to share? Not bread, biscuits and the like, but other things, using flour or cracked wheat or wheat berries?

I don't like to get up early in the morning and my husband does and he loves for me to "cook" wheatberries in a thermos for him overnight.

I can see you have no responses thus far so let me start...

Sprouting whole wheat offers a varied menu.

Salads, sandwiches, stir fry, added to soups, casseroles, breads.

Making Seitan using ground wheat. Seitan can be baked, fried, boiled, BBQ. It can be shaped in any form you like and flavored with chicken, beef, pork flavors. It is a meat subsitute taking on the flavor and texture of meat. Make a dough ball by adding water to the flour, then proceed to wash and kneed the ball under cool water until all the bran and starch is out and water runs clear (you cna save the starch water from the first few washings for other things and all of the bran for making bran cereal, muffins, breads). Make a strong flavored broth - light on salt cause it will absorb all the salt - and simmer for a few hours. Pour some of the saved starch water in the broth to thicken for gravey. Slice and pour gravey over.

Bulghur is nothing more then cooked wheat (thermos) then dried in slow oven (150^), put in a bl;ender to grind into small rice looking pieces and re cooked - 1/2 cup bulgher to 1/2 cup water. Used the same as rice.

Another meat subsitute- Wheat Pattie

prepare wheat berries as you would in a thermos (crock pot lets you make allot more to be saved in refrigerator for use later), add onions, carrots, corn, worestershire sauce, oil or bacon grease, garlic salt, shredded cheese and ???

Place everything in s food grinder and grind together. Make patties from this and BBQ, fry or Broil.

or would you like specific ingredients and measurements?

To "cook" wheatberries in a thermos you need:

1 thermos

1 cup whole wheat berries

2 cups boiling water

Preheat the thermos by filling it with your hottest tap water. Place the lid on it loosely and allow it to sit while you do the rest of the work. Rinse cup of wheat in a strainer under warm tap water.(picking out any small stems or wandering corn kernels) Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. When the water boils, dump the tap water out of the thermos. Immediately pour the boiling water into the thermos, followed by the wheatberries. Work quickly so the water doesn't lose too much of it's heat. Screw the lid tightly onto the thermos. Now allow the wheat to cook in the thermos for about 8 hours, or overnight.

When you open the thermos you will have freshly cooked wheat, the perfect temperature for eating. You may need to drain off a little of the water if it hasn't all been absorbed. Add honey or brown sugar, milk and fruits if you like.

This recipe is easily doubled or tripled for larger thermoses.

Wow, Lady - you are one up on me, I don't even know what you're talking about with this "cooking wheatberries in a thermos" you're talking about! I want to learn all I can about this too.

Westbrook, my mouth was hanging open while reading your post about all you can do with them! Whew, I can see I have a lot of research and learning to do!

------------------

shepherd.gif