MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Herb Walk Video

Roseofsharon

I am reading the book Pastport to Survival by Rita Bingham. In the section on herbs she mentions a video called Herb Walk. I am very interested.

I checked on Amazon for a review (and searched here) but there was none (no review or information but they do sell the vidoe and a book).

Wonder if anyone here has heard of this. I will post the info she gives below. There is a phone # but no web address if anyone is interested.

" In her "Herb Walk" Video, LeArta Moulton gives 75 -minutes of instruction on how to identify plants and herbs for their edible and medicinal uses. The video comes with a 100 page manual giving detailed references on plants and herbs identified in the video, plus a glosery of the plant parts and information on how to plant, harvest, and use herbs. LeArta's "Natural Medicine Chest" contains full 4X6 photos of medicinal, ediable, and poisonous plants with all their uses ann info printed on the back."

I can see a course for my HS teen (-herbs 101) -or maybe I just found out what I want to ask for my Christmas present.

One question I have is: Are the plants in the video (guide) region specific. My son collects field guides and I got him one that is on edible plants -but i think it is for the eastern 1/2 of the US. I am not sure about hers - but I would want to make sure it is relavant to where I live.

edited to add:

I found this about the author on line: http://www.galaxymall.com/retail/lmp/author.html

OK, here is the website: http://vitalvillage.net/

We live fairly rural -so no local college or clubs that are interested in herbs -there is a garden club -but it is more of a 'social status thing' - though they do keep the town looking pretty!

I am not a very detail conscious person which is why the video and hard copy interested me. I did not find the site until after I posted but the pictures in the guide look really clear to me.

I have NO experience collecting herbs etc. . I will probably continue to purchase- but thought this a good reference/skill for if the SHTF .

Do you think this would be something to impossible to learn this way? I don't know of anyone in the area who could teach me one on one.

I have been learning how to forage for medicinal herbs and wild edibles for a while now (3 or 4 years). I have a lot of books and find them invaluable. The video sounds great and very helpful. I usually select a plant and reference it between 3 or 4 books and get opinions from family and friends to verify my "discovery".

To confirm a point made earlier in the discussion - locate reference material that applies to your general area. There is a major difference between the climate regions of north, south, east and west. You don't want to waste time or money on research material that does not apply to your area.

Clemson university has many outreaches that may be in your area or a local farm resource. Also check locally for wild edible tours in your area.

Enjoy!

Archived