MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sangria

Guest Guest

last night on the local news was a segment on Sangria wine.

Seems there is something in Sangria that cures? prevents?

well....

11/21/2005: It's a fun drink, but can Sangria ward off the flu? Sangria is full of an antioxident called Resveratrol.

to hear it... http://wcbs880.com/healthwellbeing

the Dr. has a recipe in the snippet... so get a paper and pen ready!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Resveratrol

Resveratrol is a polyphenolic phytoalexin which is produced in plants with the help of the enzyme stilbene synthase, and which has anti-fungal properties. It is found in the skins of certain red grapes, in peanuts, blueberries, some pines (Scots pine, eastern white pine) and the roots and stalks of Japanese knotweed (hu zhang in China) and giant knotweed. Resveratrol was first isolated from an extract of the Peruvian legume Cassia quinquangulata in 1974. It is now available as a mass-produced nutritional supplement but not as a therapeutic agent (though it is now registered as an investigational drug). The supplement, first sourced as ground dried red grape skins, has shifted somewhat to include certain of the knotweeds as a raw material.

Resveratrol is often referred to as a nutraceutical, along with other bioactive plant compounds that are being studied for potential clinical applications such as curcumin, EGCG and silibinin, among others.

The amount of resveratrol in food substances varies greatly. Red wine contains approximately 5 mg/L, depending on the grape variety, whilst white wine has much less - the reason being that red wine is fermented with the skins, allowing the wine to absorb the resveratrol, whereas white wine is fermented after the skin has been removed.

Sangria is our favorite.

My grandma lives in Tucson and when we visit we always go

to Pinnacle Peak's. They have the best Sangria.

I can't make it like theirs but this is how I make it.

I take a bottle of red wine, any kind but not a dry

variety. Some 7 up or Sprite, your choice. 2 oranges,

2 lemons, 2 limes and cherries or bottled cherries.

Now 3/4 wine, 1/4 soda in a pitcher. Add ice.

For the fruit. Slice 1 orange, 1 lemon and 1 lime,

add them to the pitcher. Squeeze the other fruit and

add their juice. Add the cherries.

Enjoy.

(If you like your wine weaker you can go 1/2 wine and

1/2 soda.)

Archived