MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Christmas for two

Linda

as parents of a child and grand parents of four... it was hard at first to get use to not having our family for Christmas when they moved out of state (the little brat) But over time we had adjust; and have come to enjoy the season agin... we start at thanksgving we will have a small thanksgiving meal; we use to go out to eat that day, put the $$'s and DH health didn't allow that for long. so now we spend thanksgiving holiday putting up Christmas lights, then in the following weeks we start to decorate our yard and home. no lights are turned on till the first of December. then for the next 23 days we, do the cards, bake things to be given away, shop, and just plain relax and have fun with it all. some of the years we have gotten a group together to go Christmas caroling. then Christmas Eve we start to really just relax. we will talk of the blessings through out the year that we had recived. watch a movie. on Christmas we break open a puzzle and start to put it together, we have to have it done by new years that's our goal.

just thought i would share a few of the things we have done to make the adjustment in hope that it willh elp someone out here who fine's that they now too have to be without family for the holidays and will still beable to enjoy them.

Merry Christmas one and all....

I am very fortunate in having my 2 children close by. They are usually here on Christmas eve, but this year 1 day earlier, as DIL had to work today. We had a wonderful evening together, exchanging gifts and recipies, GS has learned to make lemon merangue pie from scratch and did a really wonderful job, it was delicious. And He brought 1 just to give us for Christmas, along with other goodies from their kitchen, special fudges, zucchinni bread from DD and DGD. I got a new office chair for sitting at my computer some new PJ's for keeping me warm this winter. lots of goodies. The four women, young and a little older, all seemed to like their Carla Emory books. It was a great evening.

Thyra, you are such a blessing to us all. Thank you for all the encougaement and inspiration you give us.

Theyd, your post was wonderful. Our DD usually comes home but this year she isn't. We usually have 20-25 around our Christmas table but people are starting new traditions with their families as grandchildren are coming along. A 93 year old aunt simply can't make the 200 mile round trip any longer, so, of course, her family will stay home with her. I was kind of down BUT like you started counting my blessings. One of the bigger ones this year was spending today helping DS and DDIL move into their new house right across the road from us. They have waited and waited for this house to be finished, it was supposed to be done by Oct. 15th. So it's an exciting day for all of us.

Tomorrow there was just going to be the 4 of us around the table for dinner, which was fine BUT we found one of the men that helped the kids move today has no place to go so now we're 5. Life is good and counting your blessings makes it that much better.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Archived