MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Strep Throat

logcabinmama

I know this is something that really goes around this time of year.

Strep throat

Overview

A sore, scratchy throat is often the first sign that you're getting sick. In fact, it's one of the most common reasons people see a doctor. Most sore throats, such as those that accompany a cold or the flu, are caused by viral infections and usually go away on their own in a few days.

Only a small portion of sore throats are the result of strep throat. But it's important to identify this bacterial throat infection for a number of reasons. Unlike other causes of sore throat, strep throat is treatable. The bacteria that cause strep throat respond quickly to antibiotics, and treatment stops the infection from spreading to other people. If not treated, strep throat infections can sometimes cause complications such as rheumatic fever. This serious disease can cause painful and inflamed joints and a rash, and can even result in damage to heart valves.

Strep throat is most common in children between the ages of 5 and 15, but it affects people of all ages. In addition to a very sore throat, symptoms typically include a fever and swollen lymph glands. Younger children may also complain of abdominal pain. If you or your child has symptoms of strep throat, see your doctor. A quick test can diagnose strep throat in most cases, so treatment can start promptly.

NEXT: Signs and symptoms

You can find more about strep throat at the following url and also the signs and symptons are at:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260

This is only one site you can find out about strep throat, there are a lot more found on google.

Please, take strep throat very seriously. My brother had it and didn't go to the doctor. It affected his heart and he is now on a waiting list for a heart transplant and has a monitor to monitor his heart until then. Went from having a good job at a nuclear facility to not being able to work at all. Strep throat is nothing to "play around with." Can turn your world upside down. Sorry if I sound so dire, but it has affected my family. Wouldn't want this to happen to someone else.

Archived