MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Potato Fudge (found this on the net)

Guest Guest

Potato Fudge

© 1997-8 T. P. Skaarup, original recipe. May be copied unaltered. All rights reserved.

This is a medium chocolate potato fudge with creamy texture. Change the chips to get different flavor variations.

4 tbsp Butter (half stick)

2 cup Sugar

1/4 cup Corn Syrup

5 oz Evaporated milk

1 cup Instant Potatoes (see below for other Potato Preparations)

1/4 tsp Salt

6 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (1 cup or half a bag)

1 tsp Vanilla

Directions:

Line a 9" x 9" pan with aluminum foil and set aside. Prepare the potato concoction and set aside.

Heat milk at Medium setting until warm then add sugar, salt, and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Continue to boil for about [5] full minutes then add the potato preparation (see below), mix. Bring back to a boil for [3] full minutes -or- if using a candy thermometer continue boiling until the boiling temperature reaches 234°F. [Total of 8 minutes of boiling or until 234°F is reached.]

Remove from heat and stir remaining butter and chocolate chips. Stir in vanilla.

Mix thoroughly and cast into prepared pan. Cool at room temperature. Remove from pan, remove foil, cut into squares.

Preparation of the Potato

This recipe calls for 1 cup of instant potatoes. However, if you add these dried spuds to the boiling mixture the instant potatoes will not be dissolved by the small amount of moisture in the sugar syrup... but if you add water the fudge can fail. So this is how I prepare the potatoes for addition to the boiling sugar mixture:

Instant Potatoes - In a glass measuring cup I add the dried potato flakes, half the butter, and a small amount of milk. I then microwave until warm, stir, and add very, very small amounts of milk until the instant potatoes are creamy. Use the least amount of milk necessary to dissolve the dried potatoes. The new volume will be smaller than 1 cup.

Mashed Potatoes - If you have mashed potatoes (leftovers or sold frozen in a bag), bring 3/4 cup to room temperature, add half the butter, and heat in the microwave until creamy.

Raw Potatoes - Take one medium sized potato, remove the skin, and place in a pot of boiling water for 15-20 minutes. Remove, drain the water, let cook somewhat then mash with a fork. Take about 3/4 cup of the freshly mashed potatoes, add half the required butter, and cream.

Baked Potatoes - One quick and easy way to get sufficient potato is to buy a baked potato (e.g. Wendy's Sour Cream & Chive potato - ask to hold the sour cream & chive, butter on the side). Dig out the insides of the potato until you have about 3/4 cups worth. Add half the required butter, and cream.

Creaming the mixture is important if you don't want little goobers of potato to pop up in the fudge.

Flavor Variations

Different chips may be substituted for the semi-sweet chocolate chips. This recipe has a richer taste with Milk Chocolate Chips (my opinion). White Chips may also be used. Butterscotch chips? Peanut Butter? The possibilities are endless.

Some Discussion

From this website you've learned that "water is the enemy of fudge." Adding potatoes brings water with it. If you just added dried instant potatoes, the fudge would set wonderfully, but you'd also have a fair amount of undissolved potato flakes. If you use boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, or baked potatoes then you're bringing additional water to the sugar solution which could destroy the fudge. For this reason, I have you add the potato mixture a little after half the boil... to help release the water and evaporate it away. Using a candy thermometer is probably best for this recipe since you (and I) can't control the amount of potato water brought to the fudge. The Boiling Point method (thermometer) doesn't care and will tell you when to stop.

REMARK: This makes a firm chocolate fudge which is sweet, salty, and has a noticeable flavor of potatoes. I liked it, my kids liked it... my wife shook her head and didn't want seconds. This fudge, afterall, will taste a little like potatoes. If you don't like potatoes, you probably won't like potato fudge. It IS a unique experience. I balk however at using Peanut Butter chips.

------------------

A problem is just a challenge waiting to be conquered.

Impossibilities are just possibilities waiting to be made possible.

You can't stop the curve balls of life but you can choose how you will handle them.

hillbillee.jpg