MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Maps

ToAutumn

I don't know if I've posted this before but here goes. If your family happened to live near you or even in the same state and you don't mind doing some leg work, go buy a map. Not a road map, a county hunting map. They show every creek, dirt road, cemetary and church. I bought one for Spartanburg and Laurens County and carry them with me in my bag with my camera and notepad and tape recorder. I have found graves that most of our family didn't have any idea of because of these maps, and we all know how helpful headstones are. I write down every surname on my list in every cemetary and have matched a lot of them to my tree, I also take pictures of the headstone for my program.

we use 'topo' maps for the same thing. And we use them as road maps for trips - you never know when you are sent on a detour and they turn you off into no-mans land. We have had that happen to many times while we were looking for covered bridges (most are out in the middle of nowhere - but listed on every topo map.

* Might be good to have in case you have to leave home and have to keep out the main roads?

Archived