MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

please help me find a strawberry pie filling you can can.

I have searched the net and all my books and I can not find a strawberry pie filling or a apple pie filling that I can can at home. we have so many berries this yr and I have no room to freeze all of them so I would love to can them for pies this winter. anyone got any ideas where I can get a recipe?? thanks guys!!! jojo

Guest Guest

found on the Univ of Missouri website:

"Strawberries are luscious simply eaten raw or in shortcake or fruit salad. Freezing is the best method of preserving strawberries for meals throughout the year. Canning causes strawberries to fade, float and become mushy. These berries can, however, be made into excellent sweet spreads. Strawberries dried in the form of fruit leather make an excellent, flavorful snack or lunch bag treat."

Sorry... that's all I could find...

Guest Guest

I have several cans (commercially canned) and while they are a bit mushy, they have red dye in the syrup to keep the color bright. They are actually quite good.

from recipelink

HOW TO CAN WHOLE BERRIES

QUANTITY:

An average of 12 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; an average of 8 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A 24-quart crate weighs 36 pounds and yields 18 to 24 quarts--an average of 1-3/4 pounds per quart.

QUALITY: Choose ripe, sweet berries with uniform color.

PROCEDURE:

Wash 1 or 2 quarts of berries at a time. Drain, cap, and stem if necessary. For gooseberries, snip off heads and tails with scissors.

Prepare and boil syrup if desired. Add 1/2 cup syrup (medium syrup - 5 1/4 cups water to 2 1/4 cups sugar for 9 pint or 4 quart load, 8 1/4 cups water to 3 3/4 cups sugar for 7 quart load), juice or water to each clean jar.

HOT PACK:

For blueberries, currants, elderberries, gooseberries, and huckleberries, heat berries in boiling water for 30 seconds and drain. Fill hot jars and cover with hot juice, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

RAW PACK:

Fill hot jars with any of the raw berries, shaking down gently while filling. Cover with hot syrup, juice, or water, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process.

RECOMMENDED PROCESS TIMES FOR BERRIES

WHOLE, IN A BOILING-WATER CANNER

pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes.

CANNING BERRIES (STRAWBERRIES)

Wash carefully and put in sterilized jars. Add hot syrup and fill jars with hot water. Seal with lids that have been boiled. Put in water bath canner. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Leave covered, turning off heat and let stand until quite cool. When cool store in cool place, when sealed tight, can be placed on side to prevent crowding berries.

Syrup: 3 parts sugar to 2 parts water.

here is a link...

http://www.ramseysfarm.com/Strawberry/spring_recipes.htm

apple pie filling

http://www.pickyourown.org/applepiefilling.htm

Found this one in computer recipe file. not tried it yet and don't remember where I pasted it from....

CANNED PIE FILLING

for 1 jar 4 cups berries (any knd mixed or what have you) 1 1/4 cup sugar and 3TBLSP of tapioca, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.....put in pan heat simmer and pack hot into jar, put on lid and put in water bath for 30 minutes....you can double , or make as big a batch as you want but remember when you double one do it to all, now water bath them for 30 minutes....guess what you now have pie fillings for cobblers and pies or what have you

I use the apple pie filling recipe from SOAR website. You must use ClearJel, though. It is a modified corn starch that does not break down in the heat of canning. My pie filling does not get watery and is very yummy. In fact, I need to make quite a bit more this fall when we have apples.

Archived