MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~Home Canned Chicken Soup

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I made a batch of my chicken soup the other day to can, and have just been swamped, so am just now posting the recipe now. I know I've posted it before, but perhaps heading it with an individual title will afford ease of searches later.

Once again, I cook in volumes so I'm sure many will hafta adjust their recipes.

2 whole chickens (around 7-9lbs)

4T salt (I only use kosher salt in my cooking)

1T peppercorns

1 large onion

2 large carrots

3 stalks celery

2 whole garlic cloves

3 bay leaves

Fill a 16-20 quart pot with water and place both chickens inside. Bring to a boil and skim off scum that rises to top. Once the chicken ceases releasing the scum, add above listed vegetables and spices and let simmer for a few hours until chicken starts to fall apart in pot.

Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Strain broth with veggies through cheese cloth, discarding veggies, leaving a clear, rich broth.

Debone and defat chicken totally, cutting into bitesized pieces.

In seperate bowls, prepare the following:

Onion - chopped

Carrots - sliced

Celery - chopped

In each pint jar, place 1/2 ounce onion, 1/2 ounce celery, 1 1/2 ounce carrots, 1 ounce cleaned chicken. In quarts, place 1 ounce onion, 1 ounce celery, 3 ounce carrots, 2 ounces cleaned chicken. Pour hot broth over veggies and chicken in jars, remove air bubbles, place lids on and place into canner, processing for:

Dial gauge canner

Pints - 75 minutes, Quarts - 90 minutes

0-2000ft - 11lb pressure

2001-4000ft - 12lb pressure

4001-6000ft - 13lb pressure

6001-8000ft - 14lb pressure

Weighted Gauge

Pints - 75 minutes, Quarts 90 minutes

0-1000ft - 10lb pressure

Above 1000ft - 15lb pressure

When I make Cuban Chicken Soup, it's the same recipe except initally, I also throw in 2 packets of Sazon seasoning. When I fill the jars, I also add cubed potatoes (1 1/2 ounce for pint jars, 2 1/2 ounce quart jars)

Archived