MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

old canners pressure releif regulator

Guest Guest

It's probably a good idea to contact the manufacturer to ask those questions. They should be happy to answer.

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance unless they told me it would work. I do know that Presto sells pressure gauges as a spare part.

Check here Pressure Cooker Outlet to see if they have the parts for that particular model number.

Guest Guest

I'm not sure about other canners, but I do know that on the All American canners that the petcock can be changed out for the weighted gauge attachment. The threading size is the same on both pieces, but the problem might arise in removing the older fashioined petcock. Depending on how the unit was cared for, you wouldn't wanna strip the threading or damage it, because then in MHO it wouldn't be as safe a product. If the petcock unscrews fairly easily, then the new weighted gauge attachment would screw right in.

All American began making their canners back in the 1930's so they've been around for many years, and have had very few changes in their product. The weighted gauge that is sold these days, has only been manufactured that way for the past 8 or 9 years. They are manufactured with a very heavy duty sand cast aluminum which means that the sidewalls are very thick, between 1/4"-1/2" wide. When you sand cast something it is stronger and more durable than other canners that might have been stamped out via die casting or stamping. Sand casting is when it has been poured into a mold and allowed to sit and cool. The corners, bottom and top have more strength in them that way.

Anyway, probably a little more information than you were looking for but I'm an All American kinda girl.

lol

Guest Guest

I took my husbands grandmothers canner.. started using it right away. While I should have the pressure tested... there is no place to have it done.. I turst it... after all.. these canners were ment to last several generations.

Guest Guest

Well, a 930 will go for about $225-$250 new, and a 915 goes for about $125-$150. What would constitute a deal for you on a canner that more than likely is still a well functioning tank but isn't a weighted gauge? Personally on a used canner that is not a weighted gauge, on a 915 I wouldn't pay more than $75 and on a 930? I dunno, maybe $150...it would depend on the condition. I'm not good at bidding...put it this way, I win what I want lol.

Archived