MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How is everyone?

The West Coast posting has been a little slow! How are all of you doing?

Hey, have any of you visited Hearst Castle before? We visted there on vacation. I didn't care as much about the buildings, although the things that Mr. Hearst bought from all over the world were beautiful, I cared more about the garden and the land they owned. The Hearst Family still own the surrounding land, hills, etc. They don't even do anything with it. They have orchards,etc. Oh would I love to live on that land....but in a smaller house, not the mansion...orchards, rose gardens, cattle roaming the fields, what a beautiful site! smile.gif

Nooooo but i saw a tour of it on TV....it's ....large...and pretty!

It's hard to believe that was all for one family!

I'm thinkin.....i'd be happy living on the grounds too.....I'm not proud!

It must have been fun to see in person.

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcq4dr9AXqlYY9DM

Hey Deblyn we were there about 20 years ago while driving up the coast highway. We got there about 20 mins. after it closed and we were on the road before it opened in the morning.......story of our lives! grin.gif We did camp, however, somewhere right close that night. We visited the Winchester house further up the road, does that count?

------------------

dee.jpg

I just heard about the Winchester house! I think we are going to try and go there the next time we are in the area with relatives.

Dee, that's a bummer you didn't get a chance to see Hearst Castle up close. It was better than I imagined. At first, I thought I wouldn't like it. I am not into fancy things, wealth, etc. So, I didn't think it would be very interesting, but it was. If you do go, plan to get there about 1 hour early so you can see the movie before going on the tour. That's what made it more interesting for me. smile.gif

When we were in San Francisco it was 92 degrees. I couldn't believe it. It was warm and beautiful.

I have been to Calico a couple times when I was in school.....oh boy, that was a long time ago! smile.gif

I have heard and studied Scotty's Castle in Death valley, when I lived in Bishop as a kid, but have never been there. I don't know why I have a hard time going to visit a desert area...maybe because I live in one. But, maybe we will have to check that out and go visit! Thanks for reminding me about it!

Scotty's Castle - swamp cooler is but a mere water fall trickling down rocks placed on the wall and into a pond, in the house! ingenious!!! considering when it was built.

The pump house running the electricity was driven by a small stream. Hum... a little ahead of its time.

Leather Curtains? yep to keep the heat out and the swamp cooling conditions in. And wait until you hear the organ?

There is the Lore, the guides can spin a good yarn!

We were just at Joshua Tree last year Deblyn. Actually we were there on Sept. 11 watching the tragedy unfold on my cousins TV. I've been to Calico, (the big C on the side of the hill), Death Valley and many points in between. Living out there during my childhood we went to all those places. Had a boyfriend in the Marine Corps in the 60's and we took guns out to the desert and shot at bottles about every weekend. Don't think I ever hit a thing. smile.gif

I would like to see Hearst Castle. Like you, I'm not into wealth, but have heard so much through the years about it and all the "stars" that used to visit there. Thanks for telling me about the 1 hour movie, no one ever mentioned it before.

DD is here visiting for a long weekend. She lives in San Francisco about 2 blocks from the Bay bridge. That's what she tells me anyway, I haven't been to this apt. yet. Maybe next year?

------------------

dee.jpg