MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beet Jelly Recipe

Shari

Not sure if this has been posted. The beet juice takes on the flavor of whatever Kool-Aid type drink mix flavor you use. Use the kind that doesn't have any sweetener added. I use 1/2 pints and a jar of this and a box of muffin mix make a great gift.

Beet Jelly

4 c. beet juice

1/2 c. lemon juice

1 pkg. berry Kool-Aid (I use store brand)

1 pkg. Sure-Jell

6 c. sugar

Bring beet juice, lemon juice, Kool-Aid and Sure-Jell to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space, adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 min in boiling water canner.

LazyBear, Tried the beet jelly with Ball Fruit Jell No Sugar Needed Pectin. The suggestion on the instruction sheet said for 0-3 cups of sugar, substitute 1 1/2 c. Splenda. I used the above recipe and used 3 c. Splenda (actually Walmart's brand of the same thing - lots cheaper!) My rationale: 6 c. sugar must mean 3 c. Splenda to substitute. I ended up with 5 half pints of Jelly which jelled on the spoon but is still hot and liquid in the processed jars. I used cherry flavored Kool-Aid. The jelly tastes like a spicey cherry jelly. That must be the beet taste coming through. A nice flavor but not a true cherry flavor. I added a tad of butter after the Fruit Jell because it foamed to twice the size! Glad I was using a big sauce pan to make the stuff. This kept me busy while I was pressure canning the beef stew - recipe from the Ball Canning Book that everybody here is raving about. That is delicious, too! I just realized you are new here, too. I am about a week "older" than you. Welcome!

Dear LazyBear, It has been almost 24 hours since I pulled the beet jelly out of the canner - so the jelly is certainly cool enough but it is rather runny. Maybe it needs a few days. Some do. I will keep you posted. If the stuff doesn't gel, I have 5 half pints of syrup for pancakes!

Archived