MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

LazyBear's Fresh Summer Salsa

LazyBear

LazyBear's Fresh Summer Salsa

Yields about 1 gallon

Takes under 15 minutes to make.

Pick a Gallon bucket of very ripe tomatoes- wash & core them Do Not Peel

1 1/2 cups finely chopped green pepper, seeded

1 1/2 cups finely chopped zucchini, use flesh and skin-Do NOT peel- No seeds please!

2 1/2 cups finely chopped Sweet Yellow or Walla Walla onion

1/2 bottle of Frank's Red Hot sauce- I get this free so I don't buy or grow hot peppers.

2 TB of vinegar

2 TB lime juice

2 tsp garlic salt - or garlic powder if cutting out salt from your diet.

1/4 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp salt - optional

2 tsp sugar - optional

I cut all of my cored tomatoes in half width wise and squeeze the gooey seeds and watery stuff into a compost bucket.

Quarter the tomatoes, place in blender, puree until chunky salsa consistency. Add the spices and vinegar and mix again.

I use my food processor for the onions, green peppers and zucchini. Chop fine as if to make a relish.

Combine both mixtures together and taste for sweetness, salt, HOT and tang. Adjust if necessary.

Depending on where you live the tomatoes may have alot of natural sugars in them. They do at my house.

This salsa can be frozen in Ziploc storage containers or canning bottles. Use within 2-3 months, if it lasts that long!

If you don't like FRESH salsa, then heat this salsa on the stove until it's to your preference.

If I had seen this I would have made it today. I just got through chopping,blanching,and freezing 4 quarts of zucchini and I have a pot of tomato sauce going on the stove. I have a bunch of tomatoes that are almost ripe and a bunch outside, and more zucchini outside,so I think I will double the batch and make this. Thank you for the recipe!

Could not find the Frank's Hot Sauce, so used Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce. My daughter does not like it too hot. I am going to make it again. I have to see how many tomatoes are ready. I have a plenty of zucchini. Since everybody likes it so much, including my brother, I need a bunch. Thanks again!

Archived