MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone losing any sleep?

How concerned are you about the latest threats? I must admit I still have alot of my Y2K stuff still in my basement so I thought that I wouldn't feel the urgency that many others might. The surprise was on me though. I happened to be in Lowe's today for some hardware supplies and expected the store to be crowded with last minute preppers. But it was just like a regular Tuesday morning. Is it like this everywhere? Maybe it's because our local papers haven't even mentioned prepping yet. In fact, tonight was the first time any TV stations even mentioned having a 3 day supply of food and water. I sure hope this is a false alarm but if it isn't ,I am worried about how many are ignoring the warnings.

Can't say I'm losing sleep over this one, but I feel relatively safe where I am.

*That said*, I still feel like I should have stuff ready "just in case".

We're within "wind distance" of several nuclear power plants and a major city.

Terrorism means "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".

That covers a LOT of territory.

I think many people think of terrorism as the WTC disaster, and don't understand the vast number of ways terrorism can affect us.

Look at the disruption in the food supply and the economy in Britain when Mad Cow Disease was diagnosed. There has been talk of how vulnerable our farms are to all sorts of problems.

Water can be affected, both by loss of quality and loss of distribution systems.

Power can be shut down.

Computer hackers have been busy testing ways to shut down the major servers and nearly succeeded last year. (How many systems in our cities are run by computers?)

There's a lot to think about.

I'm not losing any sleep so to speak but my heart did skip a beat or two today when I heard they found an empty rubber raft in the waters by San Francisco and they didn't know if it meant anything. I have a DD living right by one of the bridges in San Francisco and sure would like it if she'd decide to come home.

As to all the terrorism threats, I think everyone should be prepared. Even the news is saying 3 days worth of food and water and I keep thinking if there's another strike or just something as common as as electrical wires going down in the wind 3 days worth of food may not go far.

If we all stock up a little it would go a long ways to help get us by and what are we out if we don't need it? Just buy what you'll eat anyway and rotate, rotate, rotate those supplies.

As far as being prepped for who knows what, I believe I am ready. There is still more to do, but my household is ahead in the game. The fore runner Y2k, being here with ya'll and the good Lord's leading, I am very thankful to have knowledge that will benefit my family in the future and possibly be of help to others.

What does worry me is my family members that live out of state.....to think a major disaster could disrupt travel for our frequent gatherings and means of communication simply makes my heart sick! I would like to think that now is the time to spend as much time together but who knows when it will start?? I wish we all lived on the same block from one another, or better yet Walton's mountain.

I'm losing alot of sleep over this. If TSHIF today, I have about a weeks worth of food and water in the house.. I will be leaving here soon and am preparing my bugout bag with 4 days food and water supply and extra clothing and blankets to keep warm if the car breaks down. T.

I'm losing a lot of sleep over this too. Everything feels different this time. There's an inner turmoil. Twila, my prayers and thoughts will be with you on your journey. Please stop by Walmart and get a couple more gallons of water. I think they're about 58 cents/ gallon. You can go longer without food, than you can go without water. Let us all know when you get there. Blessings surrounding you.

I'm not losing sleep over things, but don't you all feel like we're waiting for 'the other shoe to drop'? I can't imagine how people who live in the Middle East countries live day to day - there's so many places where there is always turmoil and unrest.

While the threat is always there I refuse to lose any sleep over all of this...all you can do is be prepared, be aware and live your life as normal as possible....to lose sleep over something that may or may not happen is what these idiot terrorists are trying to accomplish here...don't give in to these poor excuses for human beings.

Right! Caveman! LOL

He told me last night that I watch enough news for the both of us, and I worry enough for the both of us. He closes his eyes, and he's OUT. Sleep well enough for me too, will ya?

Not losing too much sleep over this issue, since we are in a failrly rural area. If I lived in a city I'd be much more worried.

I still have most of my Y2k non-food preps plus more that I have added. I rotated my water supply today so I feel much better. Have about 3 wks canned goods on hand so that probably covers what I can reasonably store at the level of preparedness I can afford right now. I keep adding a few cans every time I go shopping and make sure I have at least a month of other household supplies on hand. I will rest easier when warm weather comes. The big problem in my preparedness plans is the heating in my home, I have no way to safely add a backup.

Now can anyone tell me how to get my DH to stop snoring! LOL!!

So far it is a non-event around here. Little mention on local news. No lists of prep items in the newspaper yet. I was at beauty school today getting a trim and nobody was even talking about it. I'm sure we are not a likely target area but any kind of attack will affect everyone in some way. I told DH that maybe they should predict snow tomorrow. Then at least people would stock up on milk, bread and beer.

Well Caveman, I guess I'm giving those terrorists exactly what they want. I don't sleep. I'm scared. I'm afraid for all of the relatives that those of us on mrssurvival.com are sending off in the war already.

CAveman said it all.... personally, I've seen this type of thing several times in my life already.....don't let it cause you to lose sleep... you'll need it to keep yourself healthy.... all you can do is to be mindful....not worried.... worry gets you nowhere, very fast..... it's like spinning your wheels on ice at high speed...... the motor will race and the wheels will go round, but you will go exactly nowhere... carry on life as usual, just a little more alert is all....

This will soon pass and we'll all wonder what the hubbub was for....at least for now anyway.... there may come a day when it will truely reach us all, but I don't think it will be today...we still have time to prepare if that's what we are going to do....and some won't.... but at least those who prepare can sleep at night.... that's all you can ask...

Now.... GET SOME SLEEP YOU GUYS!!!!!

Love ya.... LM

Llamamoma......you described exactly what my mind is like at night. I wish i knew how to turn it off. This is not new.....just the source of worry, and maybe it's a little worse.

I posted a long post yesterday, but it has disappeared! Must have done something wrong. Was your house a big, white clapboard ranch with a 2 car carport, on a large acreage, on the east side of the road? That house has been empty for about as long as you have been gone, and I keep thinking that it would be a better place to be than where we are.

I took today off.....see, Caveman doesn't have to worry cause his wife does the worrying and preps.......and topped off our preps with fresh water, more cash in small bills, a bit more canned meat (I found wonderful canned meat that I thought I was going to have to orderr over the Internet). Caveman just has to top off two cars, and buy more dog food and batteries.

Now, as ready as is possible for us.....so I hope I sleep better tonight. I picked up enough work to keep me busy at home for at least a week, so I don't have to go back to the city until the 19th.

Not loosing any sleep here (at least not because of that-DH snores sometimes ), but we are busy preparing. DH finally decided that yes, we should prepare (since the government recommended it). So now we have bottled water (individual packs of .5 and 1 Literes), extra canned items and are working on our bugout bags. We had my inlaws over last night to talk about *what* to do in case *something* happens. Well, the conversation went well, but even though I asked several times, they didn't seem to concerned about setting up a place to meet in case of an emergency. DH will ask, but it seems like we are all on our own. The assured us that we were always welcome at their home (in ANY emergency), but they live much closer to the city than we do, and I have a feeling that we will want to be going AWAY from the city...so, I guess it's up to DH and I to make sure we know where we will meet...

We are preparing, and yet living our lives as best as we can.