MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ok, I'm confused.....dry milk products

I've been using dry milk for years. My family doesn't like to drink it, but if it got to where that's all there is they'd have to deal. I always use it in my baking and cooking. I don't ever use the "real" milk when cooking. I've always bought the big boxes from Wal-Mart. Used to get some from Sam's but our stopped selling it.

Now I want to make a bulk purchase from Honeyville. This is what's got me confused: (from the Honeyville website)

If you're looking for powdered milk, Honeyville Grain carries three kinds and they are all a little different and can be used for different applications. High Heat Dried Milk is used in baked goods, meat products, and dry mixes. High Heat milk is not usually used for drinking or long term storage. Low Heat Dried Milk is used to fortify fluid milk, to make dairy products like cottage cheese, and as a dairy additive in many beverage blends and manufactured drinks. Low Heat Dried Milk can be used for drinking. The two dry milk products listed above only come in 50 pound bags and have a shelf life between 6 months and a year. For that reason, they are not suggested for use in a long term storage plan. For long term storage of milk we suggest our Mountain Mills Milk Substitute. Our milk substitute will store for up to 5 years, has all the vitamins (and more) of fresh milk, and tastes excellent. In blind taste tests performed in our lab, Mountain Mills wins hands down. For baking and blending applications go for the Low or High Heat Dried Milk. For long term storage and everyday drinking go with the Mountain Mills Milk Substitute.

I want to be able to store it, cook with it, bake with it and if necessary drink it. So, which one do I get? I was thinking it should be this one: Instant Milk Substitute

But I wanted to run it by y'all here first and get some input. I'd like to place my order today or tomorrow, so any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Looks like what you selected is the best for long term storage. but haven't tried any of them myself, so I'd like to know the answer to.

Don't forget the 10% discount thru tomorrow 6PM pst.

Quote:
For 5 days only we're offering 10% off of our

delicious Instant Milk Substitute. Milk is a staple

of food storage and daily diets. Our Instant

Milk Substitute has all the wholesome goodness of

milk with the advantage of five years of storage

life. Try both our regular and chocolate

varieties at the discount price. Stock up and save.

Make sure to order before this offer expires on

Tuesday March 4th, 2008 at 6:00PM PST.

To redeem your 10% discount, simply navigate to

our online store at

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com and order as

usual. Upon checkout enter the discount code MOO in

the discount code field and your savings will be

applied to the Instant Milk Substitute and

Chocolate Milk Substitute automatically. If you have

any questions feel free to gives us a call,

toll-free at 888-810-3212 and ask for internet sales

• 1 month later...

If you leave the dry milk in the bag it came in then it will indeed have a shelf-life of only six months to a year. It is very sensitive to moisture, oxygen, and heat. If you repack it into more suitable containers the shelf life expands to years. I'm using dry milk that I packed in 1999 and it's still good because I vac-sealed it all in glass canning jars.

I am not fond of milk substitutes of any type. A close examination of the nutrition panel and the ingredients lists usually reveal shortcoming in nutrients or ingredients such as transfats or high-fructose corn syrup that I do not want to be feeding my family.

Any quality dry milk suitably packaged can be stored for years.

.....Alan.

Archived