MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello from New Mexico and SE Arizona!

pricklypear

Hi! That's wonderful about your son going to Texas A&M. My own son has also done two tours in Iraq, and that was very very hard. But he's back in the U.S. now, and finishing up his first degree part-time (still in the Navy.) In nuclear enginerring, then he wants to go on to oceanography. It must be very hard for your son to watch his wife go to Iraq. May all go very well for them both!

Your cob house sounds like a great idea. I have heard of them and I have thought that that's what I would do if it ever came to building a house on my own-- actually I came across the concept in a strawbale building book. Maybe a strawbale would be the way to go if that were at all possible, though, as the insulation is something bgetween an R -30 or an R-50, depending on how you lay the bale. Straw is cheap and a forgiving way to build, and you wouldn't need air conditioning, and not much heat at all either. I am not familiar with where you are thinking of going but I will check on the map.

We do intend to build a couple very economical strawbale outbuildings on our place in AZ when our house here sells, as I am a writer and my husband is a saint carver and we both need more space for our stuff, my gazillion books and his wood, and we have to be able to get away from each other for hours.

I do have a raised bed garden with earth that was trucked in here, apparently a balanced soil as it grows things fine and I haven't had to amend it yet. (I am talking about here near Silver City at about 6800 ft, not about our place in AZ). I get my produce for canning from a local farm, about 50 miles away in Deming (going towards Las Cruces). This tends to be chile pepper, onion and pumpkin, peach, pecan and sometimes pistachio country. Lots of those. It seems to me about the desert that it is very fertile. The main "amendment" needed is just water! Before I married my husband I had a garden in my place in Glenwood not too far, at about 4700 feet, and sandy, on the San Francisco River, and as long as I watered whatever I planted grew huge and happy. Before the gopher wars began, at least.

In my raised bed here I have been planting things that keep coming back because they can make it through our colder winters, where below zero is common. I have perennial chard, arugula, sorrel, Welsh onions, so I can have salads to go with my sprouts and of course parsley (I make pesto with it) and mint and lots of other herbs. I also put in a few annnuals, often tomato plants, in it now and then. So far this year my tomatoes are doing well.

I also have a little cherry tree that does well, and two apples. My guess would be where you're going that apricots, peaches and pomegranites would do well. You'll be in a better position than I am to grow a wider range of things, because you won't have to worry about such hard freezes in the winter. I have a friend who gardens in AZ, in the Chiricahuas where we're going when our house here sells, and with steady planting she turned it into a real Eden. I can't wait to go there and do that myself!

If you can hunt and fish out there, go!

There are some very independent women out here. They have had to be. Sometimes the choice of men out here is just not that plentiful or great! :*) But you meet the most marvelous women!

I remember my female neighbor in Glenwood was marvelous. She was helping me put in my swamp cooler and she said, A WOMAN HAS TO GROW A THIRD BALL TO LIVE OUT HERE! LOL

So that's really what I think of it. That we just have to grow a third ball. I have never regretted growing mine. :*)

Originally Posted By: pricklypear

Hi, NM Chick! I have eaten the cholla fruit, but never the bud. I love asparagus, so will check into eating the bud before it blooms. I just looked at a cholla in my yard here and it seems to have already set the fruit. But I will try it next year and let you know right away if I die from it. :*)

Thanks. rofl I'll wait for your message on the buds.

I have made a sort of orange-tasting candy from the actual ripe fruit of the cholla, when times were hard and I wanted to make my son a treat. It took so many of the fruits to make a very small amount of candy, if I remember. We liked it, though. I have two excellent southwest native plants cookbooks in AZ, and I will grab them when I am over there again and let you know what recipes I find for cholla buds. Hopefully by the end of this month, now that the rains are here and are cooling things off.

If you can even think of the titles, I'd appreciate it. Never thought of using the cholla fruit. We'll try it this year.

I have sauteed yucca flowers in olive oil or margarine, and they taste like shrimp. If you stick them in the freezer overnight the little green bugs on them die and fall off. Mostly. :*)

The bugs are just more protein, right? That sounds so yummy. I'll start scoping out the yuccas. Funny how my perspectives have changed in the last few years. I've been working to know the location of all the prickly pear cacti on our land. Just found out that one of our prevalent weeds is actually purslane and is edible. I got so excited.

I want to do something with prickly pear fruit this year. I have sometimes picked them and eaten them fresh. And I have made a sort of jelly, but the recipe I used called for so much sugar I could hardly taste the pear. I wonder what else I could do with them? Freeze them? Dry them? Have you had any luck using them in ways besides jelly?

Last year we rubbed the stickers off under water, cut out the end, and then pureed them. Never got around to making jam because I didn't know how to can then! Then we put the puree through a strainer to remove most of the seeds. I froze quite a bit and we made some into margaritas. Yummm!

What I did like about the jelly recipe I used was that you didn't have to peel them or really even get close to the stickers at all. You boiled them and them pushed them through a cheesecloth and sieve with a potato masher. It worked wonderfully! The color is so beautiful.

Well, that sounds like a good idea. I'll give that a try this year.

I am thinking of trying to make some prickly pear wine this year, too. :*)

Be happy to test that for you. Hummm, might be a good use for what's left in the freezer.

Are you getting and enjoying some rain up there? How far north are you?

Yes, we're getting quite a bit of rain. Haven't had to water the garden for a week now. The plants really like that rain water better and are growing more even though the rain brings the temps down. We're at 7500 feet and the nearest town is Pecos. We're in pinon forest, so it's not as cold or dry as it could be some places 'round here. I know you live on an entirely different planet, so to speak, but a beautiful one. We have friends that live 30 miles outside of T or C and have visited down there.

Rattlesnakes??? I have a recipe for Rattlesnake Jambalaya, and I'm not afraid to use it! LOL!

Welcome to MrsSurvival! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! There's lots to see! sCh_reader.gif

Welcome to one of the most progressive "all-purpose" preparedness/survivalist sites on the Internet! dance013.gif Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

PS, If you're new to stocking your pantry, here are a couple of a must-see-learn-a-lot kinda places, to help you get started...

http://waltonfeed.net/grain/faqs/

http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

Archived