MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Warning....please read this!!

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

If you go to Google.com and type in your telephone number it will actually pull up directions to your house -

******but there is a way to have your number removed !

Many people are unaware of this danger.

Go to Google.com then type in your phone number (separated by hyphens, including area code) and click on Google Search. If your phone number is listed it will show your name and address and give you two map options. Yahoo and MapQuest. See how accurate the map is to your home. VERY SCARY!!!

Any person wishing to discover the physical location of a phone number, be it a home or business address, could use this feature to locate a physical street address, and receive directions on how to get there from anywhere in the country. In the age of the internet communication we all know the dangers of this - for adults and CHILDREN!

Google has made available an option that will allow anyone to REMOVE their telephone number from the database that is linked to the mapping feature.

You will first need to check if your number is listed in this manner by attempting a search-entering your full telephone number NOT separated by dashes (e.g. 5555555555). If the number appears in the mapping database, an icon resembling a telephone will appear next to the first or second entry on the results page. Clicking on this icon will take you to a page containing a description of the service, and a link to request your number be removed from the database. (It's at the bottom of the phone service paragraph)

So far unlisted numbers and cell phone numbers, do not show up.

Happy searching! Be safe!

Guest Guest

When requesting the removal of your phone number, you don't have to fill in all the information boxes, giving them MORE information on you. I just put in the phone number and reason for removal leaving all other boxes blank, and it took it.

Another inmportant and useful note: This can be done with ANY phone number you know, it does not have to be yours. I am removing the numbers of the people and family members I know would not want it listed. I just type in their phone number for them and remove for privacy reasons. It is removing all the telephone numbers I give it. I always check the number first to see if it is in the data base. I don't want to give the internet any information thay don't already have.

Caveman, thank you so very much for keeping us on our toes and helping us learn to protect ourselves on the net better.

Hill

Thanks Mr. Cavey!

Mine wasn't there...but my moms was...i removed it....but did you notice the box that said something like....removal from google does'nt remove you from these other web sites?

Any idea how to remove the info from those others?

Ps...thanks Hill...on the "don't have to fill in all info tip".

deb

Guest Guest

Good question Debbielee....if you click the links that Google provides to the other sites that may have your number you can check the FAQs and most will tell you how to remove your info from their lists. Keeping your privacy intact with all the online tools is always a hard job....the more you do the less info will be available on you.

Guest Guest

There is probably only one way to truely remove yourself totally from all directories. That would be to not have a phone at all. The next best solution would be a cell phone with a good coverage plan. Following that is to have your # unlisted and even then with a bit of social engineering your location and information will still be obtainable. This is the age we live in. The information age. Where at a few tapings of the keyboard one may have your address or even worse steal your identity. I hope that this never happens to anyone here. Hopefully soon me and a few of my companions will have completed and published our project to the net so that I can post a link so that all of you that choose to may go and learn more ways in which the cons are run and how to defend yourselves against them.

Guest Guest

Hi Brigid, It seems so far if you use dashes and your number is on a webpage of some kind it will find you otherwise it doesn't seem to find Canadian numbers that well and most of the Canadian phone directories will only allow you to search by name not numbers.