MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A communication break down...

bluegrassmom

I recently went with the family to the "Big City." It is two hours away and we don't go that often but we were in need of some clothing for the kids and a distraction, so we loaded up and off we went. I ended up in a clothing store in the mall with all sorts of citified types. My son was in one of the changing rooms and there was a young, hip college guy assigned to that area of the store. He told me that I could come into the hallway area and have a seat while I waited. It didn't take long for us to strike up a friendly conversation and he asked me where we were from. I just told him it was a little town about two hours away and then the conversation morphed into how much cheaper it is to live away from the city, etc, etc. He seemed really interested and since my son was taking his time we talked for a long while.

Before it was time for us to go, they young man asked me again, "Now, where is this little town?" I just laughed a bit and said that it was out in the boonies.

You know that look that a puppy gives you when they are trying to understand something? With the head cocked to one side? Well, that's what he did and then he said, (Bless his heart...) "What's a boonie?"

:o

Oh my goodness, poor child didn't even know what the boonies meant. My first gut reaction was to reply, 'You know, out in the boondocks." But that really would have been unfair, lol.

They don't speak my language in the city...

Archived