MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

School Closing

finklet

Here's an interesting article that I found about school closings....the government encouraging them ONLY as a last resort, because they are so costly...money, not the children, being the prime concern. <_<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33087922/ns/health-swine_flu/

- Closing schools and day care centers because of swine flu could cost between $10 billion and $47 billion, a report by the Brookings Institution think tank found.

The government is urging schools to close only as a last resort, such as when large numbers of kids or staffers come down with swine flu.

Two schools here in AZ closed yesterday, with over 50% of the children being absent due to "flu-like symptoms."

An interesting side not...DD, 3, has been at the ER with breathing difficulties due to croup two times since Sunday. When we were there yesterday, I noticed that many ER patients had face masks on. I finally put two and two together after hearing the dr. talking with the masked patient next to us -- if ANY patient is in ER with flu like symptoms -- if there is ANY suspicion of flu -- they are making that patient wear a mask. I was glad my DD's cough made it obvious she had croup...there's no way she'd keep a mask on! LOL

Archived