MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How to make Thieves vinegar

Grace&Violets

I was forwarded this link that tells how to make and use Thieves vinegar to protect from respiratory infections.

The traditional story is that during the Black Plague, a group of men were going into houses where people had died, stealing their goods. The authorities figured that they would soon be infected and die, so did not pursue them until it became clear that they were resistant to the disease. And then the motivation was to find what protected them. Finally the thieves were apprehended and one confessed that his mother, a midwife, had provided them with a protective vinegar that they drank and washed with after handling the cadavers. And in exchange for freedom, shared the recipe.

My version is slightly different, in that I use chili peppers which were not available at the time. I love to make the vinegar and use it for both cooking and to put a quarter cup in my water bottle to build up resistance. Vinegar in water was called Posca by the Romans and accompanied most meals. I take a tablespoon of the vinegar every few hours if I am coming down with an infection. All herbs are dried to increase the strength....

The recipe is included at the link.

Um, I suppose I should include the link, eh?

How to make Thieves vinegar

Archived