MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Mom!!

chefddr

Today I spoke with Mom in NJ. Funny thing, she asked me if I had been hearing "anything" about FEMA Camps? Seems she couldn't sleep last night and was listening to talk radio in NY - she has it on all night since she has problems sleeping. . .

Heck yeah mom, there is one 20 min from me, there is tons of info on You Tube and the internet we talked about it for about 10 min. Then we got heavily into a discussion about Food Storage! And how the govt may be planning on banning home gardens! (veggies) Mom has gardens all around her house, in the woodland area etc. . . She said she would plant her "food" to blend in with her flowers, she has over 10K flowers in her gardens, it shouldn't be too hard to hide! I don't have a lot of flowers, but I think I may plant flowers to go with my veggies! There is also watershed property, heavily wooded across the street from her house, she can sneek some stuff in there! My mom is so stinking smart!

I even told her about our hope to move to Texas and homestead, she didn't have much to say about that -

Fortunately, I didn't tell her I'm getting married again in August, I didn't want her to have a stroke or heart attack. She may have been the first woman to have a baby at 80 though if I had told her!

It is great that she is thinking along those lines. I've had a few interesting conversations with my mom recently. They aren't of the doom and gloom variety, but they do make me feel that my mom is concerned about some of the things going on in the world. My parents are 78 and 79, both retired with state pensions, SSI and cash in the bank. Their own two paid for homes. Mom really didn't want to put a garden in this year. She just didn't feel like tending to it. Dad always puts a garden in and then gets a bit lazy with it, LOL! This year, mom is leading the way, intent on putting in a garden, even if it is only a small one. We've talked a lot about the high cost of food. Keep in mind...Even if they didn't have their pensions or SSI, they would still be fine financially. They haven't had a mortgage since the 1960's and never had one on their current home.

Both parents live through the depression and I can't help but think that they are seeing some parallels... Time will tell... They keep a well-stocked pantry and always have since they live out in the country and don't want to go to the store all of the time. I wonder if mom will give in and let dad get some chickens again...

Archived