MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The day an injured Hawk mde the village come to a STOP!

The day an injured Hawk made the Village come to a stop

This all started as we were pulling into the parking lot in a large Village (Fairport,NY) to do some shopping. As we got to a parking space Lori said to look as there was a group of people all gathered in one corner of the parking lot and they were all looking at something on the trash can? As we got out we could see that there was a very large hawk sitting on top of the trash can and everyone (about 20 people) were just standing around looking at it. Now seeing a hawk in a big town is one thing but, as we got closer we found out that it had hit a window on the second floor of the building and rolled down to land on the ground. It had made it up to the trash can and had been just sitting there for about ½ hour before we got there. Someone must have called the Police after it didn't fly away thinking it might have been to injured to fly? But when the police got there and saw that it was a very big hawk he started to call someplace (maybe an animal rescue service)? All of a sudden the hawk looked his way and flapped his wings. As the hawk lifted into the air and flew over our heads the crowd spontaneously broke into applause.

What a very special time that was because in the everyday hustle and bustle of a very busy and modern world a hawk could make everyone stop, watch and wait to see if it could take to the skies again. Then as the hawk recovered from hitting the window and was well enough to fly away you could almost hear everyone release their breath at the same time, as if everyone had been holding it all that time. Plus to hear them all clap as seeing the bird take flight made it even more special.

Then just after the hawk flew out of range and we all were talking how amazing that was to see, everyone went on with what they were doing. As we entered the shop we were headed for before all this happened, everyone inside was talking about the bird that hit the window and how, at last, it got to fly again. But within a few minutes all was back to normal as the shoppers shopped, people were talking on cell phones, cars honked and the village once again was just a Village.

As a wild life rehabilitator for many many years, that story warmed my heart to no end. Many birds hit windows because the glass reflects the sky and they think it's an opening. Often times they are just stunned, like your hawk must have been, and a short time of being quiet will allow them to travel on. I am so glad this was one of those times.

But even more touching is the way people will try to help an injured bird or animal. I have seen it thousands of times in the years we rescued wildlife. It somehow brings them together, for at least those minutes, in a shared concern for a life. It is that spirit that allows me to believe people will pull together in a SHTF situation. When I see it, like you've so wonderfully written, it reaffirms my faith in my fellow man.

Thank you for sharing it, Michael. And happy anniversary to you and Lori. :balloons::bouquet:

:bighug2:

As a wild life rehabilitator for many many years, that story warmed my heart to no end. Many birds hit windows because the glass reflects the sky and they think it's an opening. Often times they are just stunned, like your hawk must have been, and a short time of being quiet will allow them to travel on. I am so glad this was one of those times.

But even more touching is the way people will try to help an injured bird or animal. I have seen it thousands of times in the years we rescued wildlife. It somehow brings them together, for at least those minutes, in a shared concern for a life. It is that spirit that allows me to believe people will pull together in a SHTF situation. When I see it, like you've so wonderfully written, it reaffirms my faith in my fellow man.

Thank you for sharing it, Michael. And happy anniversary to you and Lori. :balloons::bouquet:

:bighug2:

Yes, YES and YES!

That is what I was trying to say......................

How total Strangers stopped and share a moment in time together.

And then we all went on with our own lives. BUT we shared some very special!

Some of us where talking how hitting the window could have killed the hawk but it was lucky that it only stunned it and that was why it was just sitting there.

:AmishMichael2:

Archived