MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grandmas’ Home Remedies

Saw in the paper that one of the Library’s in our area was going to be having a talk on this so we thought it might be fun to go and listen. Well, it was nice to see they had a group there but mostly older folk. It would have been fun to see younger people interested in 'learning the old ways'.

We knew we would not learn much as we have all the books on it plus we still use some of them day to day.

But as it was a round table type of thing they kept asking us about some of them. Lots of stories about growing up on the old farms where you didn't have a Doc. around or the money to go to town and 'buy' medicine so you made do with what you had.

One funny part was that the guy 'leading' it keep saying to go to the computer and google this or that and you will see LOTS of differant things to try. After he said this for about the 6th time Lori put up her hand and said : You KNOW you can go to a Library and get the books on that! Seeing that over half the people there didn't have computers (most of them were over 70!) AND we were meeting IN A LIBRARY! the guy just looked at us but after it was over 4 or 5 people came over to thank her as they had no idea what the guy was talking about.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

• 2 weeks later...

What a neat experience! How I wish someone could do that here!

For years I did senior home care, of course they had stories about the Depression and how they had to make due with what they had and the same goes for seniors who lived in rural area's. I have learned so much valuable advice from them.

Sounds like something I'd enjoy. You're right about age though. I'm a senior and would enjoy it. My kids, on the other hand, wouldn't even notice there was something like that going on and would think I was nuts if I mentioned them going to it. BUT, in all honesty, when I was in my 30's I was so busy raising children, working, etc. that I'd have had no interest either.

Archived