MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Meteors in Gold Rush Country

sassenach

this story came to the fore last week sometime and this is what is going on now for it.

I have a brother and one of his daughters not living too far from here. Maybe one of them is on the search in their spare time. Kev is good for that I am sure, as he does gold mining with river dredges he designed for himself.

Is any one else following this story ?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/26/rush-on-to-find-fragments-of-california-meteor/?hpt=hp_t2

Wouldn't it be fun to go looking and find a piece of that meteorite??? Growing up in CA and studying CA history made me a history buff on the goldrush era.

Spent a lot of time in that area. Have even panned for gold and NEVER found a thing. It's fun BUT lots of work and those mountain streams are COLD.

Yep! My parents built a nice home in Grass Valley and worked between there and Nevada City for many years before the retired.

My second brother has gold claims and uses his own dredges to work them for christmas money, on the Yuba River there up above Nevada City. He is also the type that will just disappear for several months up in the foothills in the mountains. they did alot off grid at times while his girls were growing up.

My dad wrote some articles for camping magazines in the 70's on the Gold Rush Period and HWY 49 areas.

I have studied it , much when I was younger and really enjoy that period of California History.

There is a book about 1 million gold camps there? The man who wrote it did some great research on so many tiny places.

I have found some of them , going on jaunts down some very rugged steep roads too whenever I was visiting, just for fun, definitely not on the HWY 49, but off of it ..... discovered some real gems too.

I also explored some of Southern Oregon's gold and chrome claims when I lived in Northern California, mostly when my son went to Boy Scout camp and such times. Those were in areas along the Rogue River, sometimes on creeks that were running into or , in the case of the Chrome Mining, that became another friend's gold claim in time, it was quite a ride getting into the mountain and down into it to get there, lol...

Archived