MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Its one way to use up yarn scraps....knit a 17 mile rope.

sassenach

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/this-man-knit-a-17-mile-long-rope

Ted Hannaford, age 72, showing off (part of) his creation for the Guinness Book of World Records. He should also probably hold the record for World's Most Colorful DIY Jumpsuit.

Source: drew.it

Hannaford, who lives in Sittingbourne, Kent in the UK with his wife Rita, is currently fighting to keep his World Record title — for a rope he started French-knitting in 1989 — from Australian knitter Leon Milich. He remains about three miles ahead of his rival. For those who are curious, French knitting differs from other types because it doesn't involve needles; instead, knitters use a spool to create the fabric.

Every single line of this Kent Online about Hannaford's quest is delightful, but notable quotes include:

"I told Ted he should knit and first of all he said 'men don't knit', but he gave in eventually," said his wife, Rita. "I've lost my dining room as there are two 6ft high boxes in there with the knitting. We now eat our dinners on our laps, but it's worth it."

I've thought about using crochet remnants to make "hair braids" instead of using barretts. You just single crochet a long strand, tie it at the base of a hank of hair and begin wrapping around the hair (sort of like Native Americans did with leather) to keep the hair in place.

I'm thinking that they might keep rubber bands from breaking our hair. My hair is "somewhat" long (pony tail length) and I always have to wear it loose at night because I don't want stuff to break my hair off when I lay on it. Again...just thinking! May try it since I've got little "squiggies" in my hair right now...three on each side (when I wash my hair I often just blow dry it and then "tether" it until bed time). That fella gave me and Arby both ideas!