MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

little boar hog

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

We live on thirty acres in the middle of citrus country and are virtually overrun with wild hogs. My thirteen year old son hunts three or four times a week and usually brings home at least one hog a week. He got his last one last Saturday night. He walks down to the woods with his gun and sits in wait for them to cross from grove to grove and that's when he gets them. Then he comes back to the house, gets the 3-wheeler and drags them up to the house.

One fine day not too long ago he announced he was going. Which was a good thing as we were out of fresh wild pork at the moment. I set about rearranging the freezer to accomodate the fresh meat, and off he went. He was gone maybe an hour or so when I heard this awful racket. Here he came packing a little dark red boar about twenty pounds, him sweating a puddle and the hog screaming to beat the band.

"What the heck is that? I can't cook that!"

"Well, I didn't want to shoot 'im, he's so little. I'm gonna raise him."

"How did you catch him?!"

I've spent more than one weekend chasing and catching domestic piglets for vaccination purposes and even inside a 12' X 14' pen it was a formidable task.

"I dunno. I just did."

"Where's your gun?"

"I left it in the woods, I'll go back for it later. What can I do with this pig?"

We had plenty of crates around so it wouldn't have been any big deal for him to pen it up and feed it. What bothered me was the fact that we raise domestic hogs, and keep two full sized boars on the property and I didn't want to have to deal with cutting him, plus I had no idea what type of diseases he might be carrying. I finally agreed to allow him to pen the pig up in the front of the property as far away as possible from our domestic hogs, and just wait and see.

That evening we ended up with a half dozen or so boys out in the yard. My kids build a bonfire pretty regularly and anybody who drives by and sees it and knows us, will stop in and sit awhile. I was going about my chores when I hear.....

"Five, five... I hear five...who'll give me ten..."

Suddenly I got it. The boy had no intention of raising this hog, he was auctioning it off to the highest bidder. He ended up getting fifteen bucks for it. I couldn't help being proud of him. Now he has some major plans in the works to build some live traps and make himself some serious pocket money. I told him as long as he keeps them penned down in the woods I'm okay with it. The extra money will keep him in gas for his three wheeler and I know I will still get all the fresh pork I can handle.

My name is Cindi, I'm from Florida and it's nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the family Cindi, come set with us a while, we're having cheesecake, with your favorite topping, and I believe Darlene brought some cappuchino with whipped cream........

Auctions them off, huh.....enterprising young man there!!!

Guest Guest

SWAT homey...

Don't listen to her...she's always rambling about something...

WOOOOOHOOOOO another Floridian!

Welcome to MrsSurvival Cindi and may you come to love it as much as we all do...

*smile*

Welcome to Mrs-S Cindi Sorry I am so late in welcoming you to our favorite site on the net! Summer vacation with 4 kids leaving me with very little computer time LOL. What a hoot reading about your son, he sure has an enterprising streak that will serve him well in life!