MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

City folks sure are strange!

Guest Guest

This happened the other day to my dad and I thought everyone might get a giggle out of the encounter (possibly follwed by a groan, a headshake, and a "city folks just ain't right!)

We live near a small state park. All man made lakes, surrounded by great hiking trails and camping sites. Perfectly Wonderful to walk in. After years of visitors the wildlife in the park is no longer quite so ..... wild. Herds of deer numbering in the 30-40's will mill around you in the summer, especially if they spy you munching on something tasty. Rabbits refuse to run, turkeys are confident that THEY have the right of way (and you will stop the car for them), and woe to the person who tresspasses on a geese on HIS path.

Anyway, all this friendly nature leads many people to assume "Hey we can walk right up to them....let's shoot 'em!" (Sidenote: No, I am not against hunting. In season and to feed your family, great, but I AM against the kind of people that this story is about. Back to our reguarly scheduled giggle) Anyway, my dad was out yesteday, just walking around. He had crossed the fields and just walked on into the park. On his rambles he met this rather.... odd looking man.

Picture, if you will, a rabbit. Remove the fur, give him glasses, lengthen the teeth, and add orange cammo everything, so new it still has tags hanging from it, and decked with every electrical gizmo and gadget in the LLBean catalog. Add three cell phones. And the inevitabile SUV. Can you see him? Now. Arm him.

Sorta.

This evolutionary upward jackrabbit is trying to pull a shotgun out of a long cardboard box. Struggling he fails to see my dad studying him. With a grunt he wrests the gun from its container with such force the gun goes one way, the box another, and Mr Bunny falls onto his haunches - I mean backside.

Seeing this unfortunite fellow mammal in such straights my father (in an odd fit of friendlyness) begins to more toward him. Still unaware of his watcher, the rabbit struggles to his paws and picks up his gun. Pulling a large box from the open back of the SUV he begins to attempt loading.

At this point, my father had to stop telling me the story for a moment as he was laughing so hard.

The gentlebunny was attempting to load the shotgun in the manner of all good Davy Crocket fans. By ramming the shells down the barrel. Well, trying to any way. Strangly enough, they just don't seem to fit that way. Who could have guessed? ) query.

He asked my father "Do you know how to load this thing? I really want to get started." Dad looked at him for a minute, walked over, said yes. Quietly he took the shells out of his paws, lifted the entire box of cartridges out of the SUV, put them in his pocket and walked away.

Bunny boy was too surprised to answer.

City folk sure are weird!

I like to think my father saved that rabbits life.

You sure do! My....city folks ARE weird....wait! I live here too! But, I have to agree that it's odd that "hunters" drive up in this huge SUV and then expect to go un-noticed by the animals.......I'm telling ya! )