MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beans and juice

I was given some beans so canned 16 pints today and also got plums from one of my sisters. I ended up with 10 qts. of juice from the plums. Didn't make jelly, will do that later. Just wanted to get them taken care of so I wouldn't lose them.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

• 3 weeks later...

hi Snowmom! you ain't kidding it gets colder in n.mn than it does where I am in Alaska! I watch Good Morning America! I'm on the northern Gulf Coast in Prince William Sound. Sub-tropical rain forest.

Canning is fun. I don't do a lot of fruits here but I do do salmon in cans. I have jarred fruity stuff and bottled ketchup.

You could make a plum ketchup that would be killer!

I nearly didn't get *any* sweet corn frozen this year... I'm getting the end of the crop, which means the tops have some worms to take off, but at least I'll have good corn during the winter!

I also got some Concord grapes, but as I don't have time to can them now, I'm just taking them off the stems and freezing them. They'll be just fine for making juice later.

They are more expensive this year because Michigan had a late frost & there are fewer grapes. Around here, it's either *heavy* yield, or nothing. frown.gif

------------------

cat.jpg

I've been a canning fool for some time now. Got black raspberry jelly, blackberry jelly, wild grape juice, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, and now have the apples to process in big loads. Hoping to make jelly, some sauce, and apple pie filling with these. I still have apple syrup from previous years and it tastes wonderful.

LOVE seeing all these things to choose from in the dead of winter when we're snowed in! It's such a treat!

------------------

shepherd.gif