MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

pears and grapes...suggestions needed quick!

Guest Guest

Whoa Nellie!! I mean Ed smile.gif Wow, thats a whole lotta fruit!! I'm not the canning expert but one idea I could pass on is... it as of you have a ton of grapes and could make a whole lotta WINE!!

Well?? Gal's what can Ed do with all that fruit??

------------------

eaglew.jpg

WINE???? did some mention WINE????

oh yeah! wine! make wine!

are the grapes seedless? can whole grapes.

Pears? pear butter wasn't mentioned, how about pear WINE? oh yeah PEAR WINE!!!!

wine was mentioned eariler wasn't it? well, WINE gets my vote!

So Ed.....what are you going to do with all that fruit?

I can picture Ed and Peg barefoot in a plastic kiddy pool, having a Greek grape smashing event. Ed wears a huge smile on his face as he anticipates all the wine he will soon be making. "Faster Peg," Ed shouts....

Stomp, stomp, stomp....

------------------

eaglew.jpg

So Ed.....what are you going to do with all that fruit?

I can picture Ed and Peg barefoot in a plastic kiddy pool, having a Greek grape smashing event. Ed wears a huge smile on his face as he anticipates all the wine he will soon be making. "Faster Peg," Ed shouts....

Stomp, stomp, stomp....

------------------

eaglew.jpg

seriously though...peg has decided on jam and maybe some wine...but the recipe calls for "seperating the peels from the grapes"...is there an easy way to do this or is she going to make me sit here and peel pounds and pounds of grapes by hand?...Help!!...cranberries i know...grapes are new to me...ed

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Oh boy Ed, I would just juice the grapes and make jelly later with the juice, or drink the juice. NO, I don't mean as a wine either. smile.gif

Now, about the peeling, is this for the wine or what? If you don't need the whole grape, just use a food mill, or a ricer to get the juice and pulp from the peel. smile.gif

Pears, are so good just canned. Also jam sounds good too. smile.gif

Good luck and hope you don't have to peel all the grapes by hand. wink.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Oh MY, Ed! That's incredible. I'd be dancing a jig and taking a couple days' vacation from work to process those.

I love pears so I'd use a good share of them to can pears; the rest I would use for some pear jam or jelly.

I'd make grape juice and a small amount of grape jelly out of the grapes. NO WAY would I peel them tho. It would be a big enough job with that quantity of fruit to worry about... I wouldn't do something that makes it far more tedious. I already had plenty of grape jelly from past years (wild grapes mostly), so this year I used the grapes I picked to make a grape juice concentrate. My whole house smelled like Welch's Grape Juice for days.

So since I'm so late to post, what DID you and Peg end up doing with them all?

------------------

shepherd.gif

• 1 month later...